DONAG

F/S - 232 year old Metta Catharina leather - 2.75 sq. ft >>

Selling off the last of my Metta Catharina hide which is about 2.75 sq. ft.  Back in 2009 I was selling 4 x 6 inch off cut sections for $45.00 with no dicing pattern in the material

This piece has very little dicing left, but still has the history, color and aroma.  Enough material for straps, wallets small notebook covers etc.

Been using it to make smaller dress styled straps

Material is thinner at the bottom at about 1.5 mm and about 2 mm further up.  Best if you have access to a splitter for thinning out.  Preferably an electric or hand crank.  

The hide is 9 years old.  Friend suggested a conditioner for the leather even though it’s been kept wrapped up in plastic when not needed.  Could still use a refresher

Leatherique leather conditioner which is available pretty much in any country although you may have your own to use

Large image to view the hide up close – 

Cutting up creates the best strength as your cutting against the grain

Price for the hide is $650.00 firm

S/H with insurance and tracking is either

$44.00 to the US 

$80.00 International

Shipped from Toronto Canada

New here, but been around the internet on various watch forums for 20 years

If interested.

Please email me at tickman@rogers.com

Thanks

DON

mettasale31.jpg

Edited by DONAG

I had never heard of this leather before, fascinating stuff! 

OK I will bite , What is so special to charge that much for so little, I have never heard of it, so please sell it to me with your wise words

On 9/13/2018 at 2:45 PM, chrisash said:

OK I will bite , What is so special to charge that much for so little, I have never heard of it, so please sell it to me with your wise words

Sorry for the late reply, but as Sceaden mentioned.  Leather is restored from the Metta Catharina which was a fluke find as the divers were searching for another ship.

Leather is known for the dicing pattern and the aroma of the oils used in the restoration

While there are still some leathers down in the hull.  It's considered too dangerous to get them

Leather has been sold

Thanks

DON

choose files... Click to choose files

metta.JPG

Edited by DONAG