Hey guys, I am making a 1" thick x 12" diameter veg. tan (sole leather) wheel with a 3/4 ID. for a knife co. they use it to knock off burrs after sharpening. I glued up 4 layers with Master's cement. My issue is that wheel is not very true or flat on the OD, I guess i didn't mate some of the edges that well. So, in some areas there is about 1/16th or less off on the edge. What would be a good way to flatten or even out the area?

thanks!

Frank

Do you have a way to mount it to a grinder or something? I'm thinking if you can spin it you can sand the edge. Probably wouldn't take 5-10 mins max.

If not maybe a belt sander. Just have to be careful not to over sand in one spot. 

17 hours ago, veritasleather said:

Hey guys, I am making a 1" thick x 12" diameter veg. tan (sole leather) wheel with a 3/4 ID. for a knife co. they use it to knock off burrs after sharpening. I glued up 4 layers with Master's cement. My issue is that wheel is not very true or flat on the OD, I guess i didn't mate some of the edges that well. So, in some areas there is about 1/16th or less off on the edge. What would be a good way to flatten or even out the area?

thanks!

Frank

I made one like this and mounted it on my buffer. Used an angle grinder with a  80 grit flapper wheel to true it up.  Works pretty good.

273846E6-AEC2-444C-AB16-003DA443D9E6.jpeg

That's what I had in mind Haha 

@Stetson912 @JKHelms

Great, yes thanks fellas, I will definitely try this, interesting on your pic @JKHelms, yours is stitched, i thought of that, but the customers current wheel is not stitched at all, he said they have had it for years but its begining to crack along the side. 

Contact cement should be plenty strong. Stitching wouldn't really help with cracking I don't think. Just conditioning the leather. 

4 hours ago, Stetson912 said:

Contact cement should be plenty strong. Stitching wouldn't really help with cracking I don't think. Just conditioning the leather. 

Got it, thanks again! I will try it out.