Joshstrange

dye hard leather

I was given a side of thick veg tanned leather it is extremely hard and thick maybe 10-13oz. its just for practicing as I am new to leather work   I cut a piece off of it and oiled it with neetsfoot oil and it became nice and supple but did not tool well even after I soaked in water.  My question is what process should I use for dyeing and tooling it.  Should I just soak it with water do my tooling and dyeing and then oil it, or is some leather just to hard for any tooling and i should just dye it then oil it.  will it accept dye better if its wet?  Thanks for any input.

Only apply water before tooling. The oil is more of a finish and softener. The water should get you the moisture you need. Do not soak the piece, apply water to the surface sparingly using a sponge or spray bottle. You will learn the amount your leather takes after some trial and error. Do some good ol YouTube research and just type in "Tooling Leather" Bruce Chaney and Tandy leather have some great beginner tutorials. 

Pics would be nice too. If it didn't soften after you soaked it, it may not be veg tan. Also, if it is veg tan and extremely hard, it may have had some treatment done to it and seeing it may help us to help you.