wrz0170

The HF 1 ton arbor press mods

Like many, considering a HF 1 Ton Press when it goes on sale and 20% on top of that.   Mostly for stamps and makers mark.  Not liking the maul results.  

Considering future uses when I get into grommets, rivets and the like. 

I don’t have the means to DIY machine it.   With that said, those who took it somewhere, what is the typical machine shop costs to drill out the ram, set screw and the rotating anvil? 3/8” seems to be the popular size? I know this can be wildly subjective on where you go, but ball park.

in this case, I would mount it to a board and clamp to my bench as space is limited.

I will certainly consider putting machinist costs towards a dedicated press.  I.e.  like a Goldstar or similar as that’s the job they do and they appear to do it well.  Just considering options.

Thanks!

William

I bought a palmgren 1/2 ton press from Amazon and it already had a 3/8 hole in it. They also have a 1 ton unit.

You might spend a little more than harbor freight but, then you don't have to do anything to it.

William, you can buy a Goldstar press for around $70 to set rivets, grommets and snaps - probably less than it will cost to have a machine shop do all the modifications you want.  I do like using the arbor press for stamping.

Gary

12 hours ago, garypl said:

William, you can buy a Goldstar press for around $70 to set rivets, grommets and snaps - probably less than it will cost to have a machine shop do all the modifications you want.  I do like using the arbor press for stamping.

Gary

Thanks Gary.    I kind of figured that may be the case.  Machine shops are are probably not the cheapest around.  Bikermutt did have a great suggestion though with a press that’s pre drilled.