Mike306

45K Service Manual

45k58 First machine of this class. Never used or serviced a large oscillating bobbin machine. Managed to find user manuals - is there a service manual available? Is the timing pinned i.e not something I ever need to worry about - like some class 15 clones? If I remove the hook assembly for cleaning/servicing will timing get put out? There's 1 large screw beneath the 'race' - is it undo that and let it all fall forward? Any guidance on the foot spring adjustment - looks like you can sort of make it walk? Pressure spring mechanism on top looks quite complex - what's going on? :) Thanks, folks. Service manual? or manual close enough to give me a head start? Is it similar to a 132?

45834402_2013110482070403_3763207450916814848_n.jpg

45767211_2013110392070412_6649892375428595712_n.jpg

45852357_2013110702070381_702990901160443904_n.jpg

Hi Mike, Well done on your purchase. I think your machine will last another 100yrs. First thing i would do would be to get the parts manual and look and see what the parts are called and what they do.

http://dixiesewingmachine.tzo.com/MANUALS/SINGERPARTS2/45K58.pdf

And here is the link to the manual that will show you how to thread it properly. It also has more stuff on the 45k class machines.

If it gets out of timing then it is set by moving your needle bar up or down. You can take the Shuttle Race Spring and Screw, Shuttle Race cap and Shuttle out to clean no worries. They call this a kick foot in the UK and the spring part on top is called the presser Bar Gripping Bracket. That will most likely have to do with the action of your foot when Climbing (Singer called it Vibrating And Climbing Presser). The pressure for you foot is done with the flat bar at the back, Similar to that of the 29k. When you change the stitch length there is a small screw and nut with a small arm behind the foot assembly which i think regulates the foot stitch length to equal your feed dog. Someone has added a bracket on your face plate for the thread going through ?? After the Take Up Lever Arm, And your thread is going through your spring instead of going around the Tension Pulley? ( 1 and 1/2 times around) Hope this helps, Jimi.

45767211_2013110392070412_6649892375428595712_n.jpg.126348c3b0f7470b9ae9ec820b42067f.thumb.jpg.b7f3e0b9506acef6f6786cb13c3f5136.jpg

Edited by jimi

20 minutes ago, jimi said:

Hi Jimi - thank you very much.That's a relief to find somebody in the (45) know. The 'threading' is how I picked it up so when I get needles I'll do it right. Your manual pics are great - thanks for making that available. It would be good to know the exact timing procedure even if all the action is at the needle bar - this is another league of machine for me :) I can feel a million questions on the way :) Cheers

Hi Mike, Well done on your purchase. I think your machine will last another 100yrs. First thing i would do would be to get the parts manual and look and see what the parts are called and what they do.

http://dixiesewingmachine.tzo.com/MANUALS/SINGERPARTS2/45K58.pdf

And here is the link to the manual that will show you how to thread it properly. It also has more stuff on the 45k class machines.

If it gets out of timing then it is set by moving your needle bar up or down. You can take the Shuttle Race Spring and Screw, Shuttle Race cap and Shuttle out to clean no worries. They call this a kick foot in the UK and the spring part on top is called the presser Bar Gripping Bracket. That will most likely have to do with the action of your foot when Climbing (Singer called it Vibrating And Climbing Presser). The pressure for you foot is done with the flat bar at the back, Similar to that of the 29k. When you change the stitch length there is a small screw and nut with a small arm behind the foot assembly which i think regulates the foot stitch length to equal your feed dog. Someone has added a bracket on your face plate for the thread going through ?? After the Take Up Lever Arm, And your thread is going through your spring instead of going around the Tension Pulley? ( 1 and 1/2 times around) Hope this helps, Jimi.

45767211_2013110392070412_6649892375428595712_n.jpg.126348c3b0f7470b9ae9ec820b42067f.thumb.jpg.b7f3e0b9506acef6f6786cb13c3f5136.jpg

Your welcome Mike. Here is a link to some videos a guy put up about a 45k89 which is the cylinder arm version of your machine. There are 5 videos i think?

2 hours ago, jimi said:

Fantastic Jimi - thanks very much - this project is looking doable - much appreciated

Your welcome Mike. Here is a link to some videos a guy put up about a 45k89 which is the cylinder arm version of your machine. There are 5 videos i think?

TENSION DISKS (lower) - the lower of the 2 tension mechanisms has a typical beehive spring but the 'disc' in the middle of it all is more like a pulley - 2 disks joined. Not sure how cranking up the pressure on the spring is going to alter the tension if the thread runs through this middle part???

Thanks

Sorry, the take up lever arm is threaded after the check spring, my mistake.

You need to go around the pulley 1 and 1/2 times. in the manual it tells you to go around the tension wheel (3).

Edited by jimi