JulieP

Aliminum burr rivets

I was wondering if anyone has used the aluminum burr rivets and what their opinion is?  Tandy carries them and I tried them on a dog collar. They were nice to work with.  I can't seem to find another source for them other than Tandy.    I'm just wondering about longevity.  I need something strong and silver colored. I know I can use Chicago screws but I was looking for something a little thinner and lower profile.

Thanks,

Julie 

I've not used the Tandy ones. I have a stock of boiler maker's aluminium rivets. I used them to hold a boss and arm straps on a Viking shield. 15 years on that shield is still fighting battles, neither rivets nor straps have given out. Whilst aluminium is not as strong as steel or brass, in the way we use them they are strong enough

Problem with aluminium rivets is they corrode very fast, not like steel ones, they get a white powder oxidation on them. Also, that oxidation makes blue coloured stains on skin and cloth and leather Anodized aluminium is better but it still eventually stains

If you need more and cheaper look for boiler maker rivets for miniature railway builders ~ not the small toy like rail ways, miniature railwayers build engines 1/3 or 1/4 scale

Thank you for your feedback