Sign in to follow this  
abn

Introduction

Hello, everyone:

I wanted to introduce myself briefly, but first, thank the folks responsible for creating this leatherworking forum. It's great to have a place online where people can go to ask questions, offer advice, and share knowledge. Keep up the good work!

I got started with leatherwork about three years ago. Since I have a somewhat short attention span :whistle:, I focus on small projects like key fobs, wallets, and the occasional handbag. A visit to Colonial Williamsburg's harness shop last year inspired me to start doing everything the old way -- no electricity or power tools. It takes a little longer, but I enjoy the low-tech approach.

Below is a simple key fob I recently finished. I'm glad to be here and suspect I'll be asking more questions than answering them, so having access to this forum's experts is much appreciated.

Regards, -Alex

abn_key_fob_1.jpg

post-162-1156775657_thumb.jpg

hi,

everyone starts somewhere. i remember starting on some of those rectangular peices to try carving.

:welcome: Alex, you have been bitten by the leather bug. It's not fatal, but it can be expensive, and it continues to spread across the planet, even after 10,000 years and the introduction of a myriad of synthetic products, none of which can duplicate real-deal Leather. Some symptoms include: 1. openly sniffing leather 2. workshop expansion 3. growth in rate of tool collection 4. hammer wielding 5. interestingly tinted hands 6. inability to hear a Harley go by without trying to see the leather, not the bike 7. "free" Christmas presents 8. feel urges to make derogatory remarks about nylon substitutes 9. uninvited people on your doorstep with tattered beloved items, like ball gloves, begging for repairs 10. a different belt for every day of the week, and new ones on your friends 11. coffee cup with lid for the bench so it doesn't spill during any pounding 12. drawing fire from ignorant PETA people who do not understand the meat industry, or why their Birkenstocks are so comfortable. 13. A scrap box that a newbie would classify as "inventory" 14. unwillingness to leave the bench unless it is to read leather mail 15. inventive colorful language when you whack yourself, stab or cut yourself, and panic at the thought of bleeding on the hide (blood is so hard to get out!) I could go on, but you get the idea. Glad you both are here- hope you have fun and make yourselves comfortable. The only rules here are "No running with scissors!" which is implied to mean headknives and Exacto blades as well, and only because my mom told me not to- I could put an eye out!

Johanna

(getting older and requiring more light in the shop)