dikman

DIY denim buff

Now that I have a machine (the W117) that can actually sew through 1/2" of stuff, I started thinking. I had a couple of pairs of old denim jeans, so started cutting discs out of them and punching a 3/8" centre hole. I made a jig that would allow them to rotate under the sewing foot and stuffed as many as I could under the feet, then started sewing concentric circles with #138 thread (#69 probably would have been adequate, but I wanted to see how it performed with the heavier thread - it worked well). I ended up with two wheels.

I had a motor (1725 rpm) that I fitted with a burnishing wheel so figured that would work well. I turned a suitable arbor down with a 1/2" shaft, threaded on the end. Only one slight problem (!) due to the direction of rotation the nut tends to unscrew itself!:lol: Using two nuts to locknut it fixed that. It actually works well, and I made the arbor long enough that I can fit extra wheels on if I stitch up any more. It also has the advantage that I can now fit any sort of wheel (grinding, buffing etc) on the motor as long as it has a 1/2"bore.

denim buff 2a.jpg

denim buff 1a.jpg

Denim buff 3a.jpg

Excellent