Googledave

Singer 111w155 stitch length selector “wacky”

Hi all, I have a 111w155 that I’ve owned for two years now..... when I bought it, it wouldn’t stitch... I cleaned timed adjusted and all has been well except that I could never get the stitch selector to ever work properly.... the PO has about 60 YouTube videos on trying to get the machine to stitch. I be watched a couple and assume he’s probably taken the selector apart since he took everything else apart as evident on the machine as well as his videos... eeesh!! Anyhow, I get perfect 5SPI . but when I place it on anything other than 5SPI I get 26 SPI. That is the only thing I did not adjust other then a slight snug on the gib since it was ready to fall out. The eccentric is working, I can see it. But I keep looking to see if it’s on backwards or rotated incorrectly but I really can’t tell.  I do leather motorcycle seats and leather bags so the 5 SPI is perfect for the look I’m achieving. But I like my things to work the way they are supposed to. And since I’ve got a little lull, now is the time to finally fix this. Thanks all!

You pressing the stitch-selector release button/plunger just to the right of the inner cover plate and you turn the hand wheel slowly till you feel that button drop into place.  Then you turn the hand wheel and read the stitch selector window numbers, and hope they actually line up with the correct count.  If they don't its not a huge deal, you just figure out the math as you set it.  Then release the button and its all set.

The issue is that if I move the the selector from 5SPI to 8 or 10 SPI the machine stitches 26SPI. If I put it back into 5SPI it’ll do 5SPI. So in effect I have 5SPI on “5” and 26SPI  on everything else..

If you turn the hand wheel backwards the stitches will shorten.  That said if it stops 5spi pulling

the handwheel towards you and you can do only that amount it might be frozen . The selector is

also attached to the arm that regulates stitch length.  So you  have to check that.  If it was me

I would soak  in PB blaster.  Then I would attach a vice grip to the shaft maybe protecting it

with a piece veg. I would than center the selector and rock back forth and feel the movement.

no changes soak again !  Don't turn so hard it that will damage the belt.

Woe 40 machines, That must be a record

15 hours ago, Googledave said:

The issue is that if I move the the selector from 5SPI to 8 or 10 SPI the machine stitches 26SPI. If I put it back into 5SPI it’ll do 5SPI. So in effect I have 5SPI on “5” and 26SPI  on everything else..

That is tricky.  If its not adjusting the "normal way"  take a look under the hood.  Tip the machine back and rest it on a block if you don't have a tilt-knob there, this way you can use both hands. Watch as the plunger pops in place, the eccentric lever arm then should move smoothly in/out as you turn the wheel.  I am going to guess that its not moving or slipping and the feed eccentric needs to be reset.  Here are the Singer instructions.

5c1126499825d_Singer111WStitchLadj.thumb.jpg.977e73ee65aaff40d26730ec8d98af95.jpg

5c11275775f89_Singer111changingtheinternalbelt.thumb.jpg.fca5c8be53e08f80850195254dffdeb3.jpg

This is interesting... everything works as it should. Well, at least, everything is moving.... used the naval literature and still is doing the same thing... at least the 5SPI  is perfect... I can’t figure it out.. I keep wondering if the connecting rod is out or if the PO rotated the eccentric cam somehow. I don’t even know if that’s possible.... oh also, timing is spot on thanks! Hmmm ,Yetibelle, looking at the eccentric again, I wonder if the spring tension has worn , or maybe too tight....time to play.. I’ll report back to see if I get any changes playing with spring pressure....

Edited by Googledave