booklady

Pull up leather leaking waxes when hot stamped? What do I do?

I mostly work with 2.5-3.5 oz upholstery leather, but am looking to branch out into slightly heavier leathers, especially ones with nice distressing or pull up, for that two tone  aged/worn look. I currently do a lot of hot stamping for personalizing my products for my customers, and when I've gotten a handful of samples of pull up leathers, when I test stamp them I find that there is quite a bit of wax bubbling/seeping out of the leather, and sometimes leaves a "ring" around the stamp impression. The debossing is really nice on these leathers though, the only problem is the wax seepage.

Is this normal? Should I try lower heat settings? Just wipe it quickly after each stamp to eliminate this waxy ring from  forming around the stamp impression? Is there a type of leather out there that will give have that nice multi colored effect of a pull up leather, without being so full of wax (I imagine not, since isn't this exactly what give pull up that two toned effect?)

Or what type of leathers take hot stamping impressions the best? I've tested lots of samples and can't seem to find any similar thread as to when something stamps well vs. doesn't- but maybe I'm just missing it or haven't figured it out?

Any insights appreciated. Thanks.

Have you tried veg tan leather it will take a cold or hot stamp and look great

Edited by chrisash

It couldn't hurt to try a lower temp. I've stamped a bit on some old town from Acadia leather and only had a very small problem with that happening. I have just buffed it quickly with a rag and it went away. I've been using a blowtorch to heat my stamps so I have no idea how hot it is. I do know that if it's way to hot the leather will shrink and deform though. The pic is of some saddle bags I just finished with. I stamped my logo with a brass stamp and the dragon I drew on with a wood burner on high.

20181215_095609.jpg

Edited by PutnamLeather
Add pic

I find that a reduction of dwell time can be very effective in reducing the heat-affected zone around the debossed area. Reducing temperature can help too, so long as you still get the desired depth and colour of stamping. However in my case (with the leathers I use) the ring is normally a colour change rather than a buildup of waxes on the surface, even in heavily waxed leather. TBH though I generally don't mind a little colour change around the stamping -- it adds to the aesthetic.

I've found that the crispest and most repeatable debossing is on leather with a heavy surface finish, which is how many upholstery leathers are treated. This would probably explain why you've been happier with the results of your stamping on that sort of leather.

I do know that veg holds a great stamp, but almost all veg tanned I've seen is in that raw form- and I need a variety of colors etc and have no interest in hand dying. The variation in pull up leathers is also a really nice look and I'd like to incorporate it into my product line, if possible- but I have to be able do decent stamping on it.

I tried an even lower heat setting, and while it did reduce some of the "bubbling up" of waxes around the stamp, I'm not getting as good/deep of an impression. 

I will keep testing. Thanks for the replies so far.