Sign in to follow this  
$$hobby

Introduction

hi,

just wanted to say hi you all of you.

ive been doing some leatherwork (off/on) for 30 years now. learned it in jr. HS and then began making things as i needed.

after i got into horses, i was asked to do some repairs and such so the repairs has been going on for about 10 years.

i also like to make other things esp when you cant find what youre looking for at the local stores.

hope everone has a safe and great labor day.

$$ Hobby,

OK, something from your area. About 20 years ago I bought a used saddle maker stamped by Dean Turner - Portland Ore. Other than my own, the best saddle I have ever ridden. I had to sell the saddle to make a horse deal work several years ago. I have yet to come across anyone who knows or knows of Dean Turner. I would just like to know something about him. Ever heard of him?

Bruce Johnson

$$ Hobby,

OK, something from your area. About 20 years ago I bought a used saddle maker stamped by Dean Turner - Portland Ore. Other than my own, the best saddle I have ever ridden. I had to sell the saddle to make a horse deal work several years ago. I have yet to come across anyone who knows or knows of Dean Turner. I would just like to know something about him. Ever heard of him?

Bruce Johnson

Bruce,

I have to dropoff/ pu some leatherwork so i will ask around.

btw, just googling his name, theres a guy in SF thats selling one. his add says Dean was in Eugene. It could be dean moved from PDX to Eugene at some time too.

i hope the trade was for a good horse since its your office.

RC

$$ Hobby'

Thanks for the reply. It may have been Eugene now that you mention it. Have ridden quite a few saddles since that one, but always remember it was one of my favorites. I have only seen one other of his saddles down here, but that owner was pretty darn happy with his too. He puts just a little rise in the seat front, just enough for a little security, but low enough to cut, stand up and reach out to rope one, or just go on down the road. I always remembered how that one sat, and try to get mine to have that same feel. Have sat in some wet leather to get the job done at times. Now that I have a town for him, I am going to try information to see what I can come up with. If nothing else to just say, "Thanks".

As an aside, you may need to change your name if you stick with this leather deal very long, probably have to had another "$" or two to your name.

Bruce Johnson

$$ Hobby'

Thanks for the reply. It may have been Eugene now that you mention it. Have ridden quite a few saddles since that one, but always remember it was one of my favorites. I have only seen one other of his saddles down here, but that owner was pretty darn happy with his too. He puts just a little rise in the seat front, just enough for a little security, but low enough to cut, stand up and reach out to rope one, or just go on down the road. I always remembered how that one sat, and try to get mine to have that same feel. Have sat in some wet leather to get the job done at times. Now that I have a town for him, I am going to try information to see what I can come up with. If nothing else to just say, "Thanks".

As an aside, you may need to change your name if you stick with this leather deal very long, probably have to had another "$" or two to your name.

Bruce Johnson

Bruce,

Sorry i couldnt get anymore info for you, but i get the impression that saddle makers come and go and if you find a good one, keep it. The next time im down at Oregon Leather, i will check with them too.

i know what you mean with the extra $$$$$. i was trying to keep the expenses down on this hobby, but after deciding to buy a real sewing machine its too late now.

$$ Hobby,

Bruce Johnson

Bruce,

Did you get my email with Dean's contact info?

Tom