ABHandmade

WIP. Portrait of my wife

Excellent result and approved by the highest order? The subject. I am in awe of your courage and your excellent work!

15 hours ago, Rockoboy said:

Excellent result and approved by the highest order? The subject. I am in awe of your courage and your excellent work!

Thanks, Brian! In this case, the line between courage and rashness is very thin :)

But all is well that ends well. The portrait was favorably approved by Yana.

A little bit about how the portrait was made.

First, a leather insert was made (4 stacked layers of leather 8 oz) in the form of a relief of the face. I use a swivel knife and scalpels.
After that, the portrait outline is applied to the cased main piece of leather 4 oz thick. The use of a swivel knife at this stage is minimal.
To align the leather insert with the contour on the main piece of leather when gluing, 3 thin pins are used, which are used to make 3 punctures in the leather and the leather insert at the same points.
After that, the pins are inserted from the back side of the insert, glue is applied on both parts, the main piece of leather is "strung" on the pins and both pieces are connected along them, as along the guides.
With the help of figure beveler and a large modeling spoon, the leather is settled on the insert (bas-relief).
Next comes the work of figure bevelers and modeling spoons of different shapes for the forming of parts. In some places (eyes, nostrils, a line between the lips), incisions are made with a swivel knife.
But in general, the swivel knife is used to a minimum.
I use such figure bevelers - F896, F895, F891, F890.
In the details of clothing used checkered beveler, background stamp, figure beveler, modeling spoon.
Hair processing is a separate stage. At first, large details of a curl are formed with figure bevellers and modeling spoons.
Next, I use a swivel knife with my own maded blade, which has a blunted (rounded) working part, that is, the knife does not cut through, but pushes a mark on the leather.
Despite the fact that many are categorically against the use of the hair blade, I use it. But to get more naturalness, the knife is conducted with a change in the force of pressing and tilting to the right-to the left.
The tips of the hair are formed using the 910 and 902 stamps, as well as small undercuts by swivel knife.

If this is of interest, I can try to briefly describe the process of coloring.

Edited by ABHandmade