Sign in to follow this  
newcordwainer

Durkopp machine?

I want to begin leatherworking with clothing and bags. I've done a lot of reading, primarily on this site, and it has proven incredibly helpful! I would like to buy a used machine, but they are difficult to find. I spoke with Bob at Toledo today, my first stop, but he doesn't have anything in a used walking foot machine. I checked with a resource in NC that has a Durkopp 291-162061 E2 which they will convert from a 220 volt a new 110 servo motor for $825. This resource is vetted through a close friend, so they should be credible. Any info that anyone can share on this machine would be immense helpful. I was considering a Consew 206RB-5, but would rather get something used and less expensive to start. However, I have also thought about getting a machine with a free arm so that I can have more flexibility and for ease of sewing sleeves. I'm not opposed to buying new, but trying to keep a budget for something that I'm just starting and not sure where I will end up! I encourage advice. Thanks in advance!

I am not sure how many bells and whistles the Durkopp had or has but if it has /had a panel for functions I would be very vary of accessibility to and the cost of them down the road. I would give serious consideration to a cylinder bed (new or used) machine with a flat bed attachment it may give you the best of both worlds. I would also go visit a dealer or dealers with samples who are knowledgeable with setting up a machine for your leather work needs. Buy once, cry once.

kgg