jb9

Trying to Stiffen Sandal Strap

Hi there,

I have been searching the forum for a solution so I figured I would start a new topic.  There are lots of really talented folks here so here goes.  I have a sandal that is made of leather suede and the strap sags so that I can't really slip the clog on without bending over and fussing with it.  I would like the strap and sandal to retain their structure so that I can simply slip my foot in.  The leather suede just needs to be stiffened up but I don't know how to do it properly so I get a good result without damaging the leather.

I have attached a annotated picture of the sandal/clog.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Birk_Strap.png.9f78c4a8cc7510a87982eed1252c5ef9.png

Depending on the leather, I would fill the sandal with compressed newspaper then apply some sort of finish, maybe resolene or super sheen. Hopefully somebody who knows what they are talking about will be along real soon.

Risky; soak the sandal in hot water; block out the sandal with scrunched up newspaper, and dry quickly in a very warm, but not overly hot, environment or with a hairy dryer played over it