Jerry791hd

Can i apply Resolene after applying Leather Sheen

Hi.

I apologize if this question has been answered before.   I normally apply Fiebing's Neutral Resolene to holsters, slings, and sheathes and really like the how it looks and feels.   Problem is I ran out of resolene and in a pinch I coated a couple of scabbards with Fiebing's Leather Sheen and I don't really like how that came out, too glossy and it stiffened and doesn't feel as flexible as resolene …   so question is Can I apply Resolene (or other product) on top of Leather Sheen coat (Leather Sheen coat has completely dried)???

Thank you so much for any info you can offer.

They are both acrylic finishes, . . . most likely adding Resolene will add to your headache, . . .  as it will not be any less flexible (probably somewhat stiffer),

To lessen the shine, . . . you might take a cloth with denatured alcohol or acetone (only moist, not wet) and lightly go over the sheaths a couple of times.  Acrylics do not fully cure overnight, . . . take a while to get full hard.  You may be able to undo some of it.

I would treat a panel of leather the way you did the sheaths, . . . then using denatured alcohol first, . . . see if it will undo it.  If not, . . . next try acetone, . . . and if acetone doesn't do it, . . . your only hope would be good ol unleaded gasoline. 

But remember, . . . I've messed up as many projects with those chemicals as I have saved, . . . go slow, be careful, and don't have any open fires or electrical heaters nearby.

May God bless,

Dwight

Well, . . . again, . . . try the chemical removal of a bit of it using a moist rag.

I've had some success that way, . . . 

May God bless,

Dwight

Hey Jerry,

It seems to me that items finished with acrylic wear and break in over a period of time. Going with this and understanding that the stiffness crated by the acrylic finish is your main concern I'd see about speeding up the break in time. Throw them in a bucket of water and let them get thoroughly soaked. Pull them out and let them dry a little and flex them around this way and that. Then let them dry some more, then flex some more. Once they're completely dry see if you can get the leather to accept a little NF oil. If it does, great. If not just wipe it back off. After all that I'd think you'd have more flexible leather. If not then maybe try Dwight's stripper ideas. 

Good luck,  

Josh

thank you guys so much...…  lightly touched up with moist denatured alcohol let dry then I moistened it with water and flexed it around.... and now its much much more flexible and after it completely dried looks way better.... thanks again...…  you guys are awesome!!!

Jerry

Congrats, . . . glad it worked out.

I just the other day tossed a holster I had quite a bit of time and material in, . . . simply because I could not make it work.  I wanted too much out of the leather, . . . it said "NO" so I pitched it.

Sometimes it works out as it did in your case (and I'm very glad it did), . . . and sometimes the waste basket is the best option.

May God bless,

Dwight