charlesfalzon

Starting out

Hello

Sorry to bother you again but i need help to start 

In my country (malta) they dont have any leather course so i was thinking maybe someone can recommend something like dvd or books 

I am interested in wallets bags and motorcycle seats and car upholstery maybe boat stuff too

Thanks for any help

For any beginner; you can't go wrong having some of Al Stohlman's books handy. He did some on making cases, on making bags, on making wallets and purses. He teaches the basics in a very easy to understand way. Once you know those basics they can be applied to other projects.

Also, having read his books and seeing his instructions helps you to understand what people are doing in some youtube videos

Nigel armitage is a expert with many video's on Youtube and also dow a great video course selection of about 50 videos with new ones most months but for this selection makes a £3.00 charge monthly but well worth the money

see https://vimeo.com/ondemand/armitageleather/247495554

Here are two books I can recommend - 

'The Leatherworking Handbook - a Practical Illustrated Sourcebook of Techniques and Projects' by Valerie Michael

'Leatherwork - a Practical Guide' by Chris Taylor

There are dozens, probably hundreds, of videos about leatherwork on YouTube, watch as many as you have the stamina for. Make it easier by Searching for different aspects and categories - beginners; tools; or particular items, as in your interest list

I can recommend videos by Ian Atkinson and Nigel Armitage

Have a look at the websites for Tandy, and Goods Japan. They will give you an idea of the types & prices of tools, though there are many other suppliers Try Searching Google for 'leather tools europe'

Don't forget this forum! Especially Getting Started; Tools; and Sewing. It's almost certain that most of your questions will have been asked before

Have a look at this supplier; they are Italian, and might be easier for you to buy from      https://buyleatheronline.com     

Edited by zuludog

1 hour ago, chrisash said:

Nigel armitage is a expert with many video's on Youtube and also dow a great video course selection of about 50 videos with new ones most months but for this selection makes a £3.00 charge monthly but well worth the money

see https://vimeo.com/ondemand/armitageleather/247495554

I will probably contact nigel and buy his pdf 

thanks 

1 hour ago, fredk said:

For any beginner; you can't go wrong having some of Al Stohlman's books handy. He did some on making cases, on making bags, on making wallets and purses. He teaches the basics in a very easy to understand way. Once you know those basics they can be applied to other projects.

Also, having read his books and seeing his instructions helps you to understand what people are doing in some youtube videos

gonna be searching for his books today 

thanks

30 minutes ago, zuludog said:

Here are two books I can recommend - 

'The Leatherworking Handbook - a Practical Illustrated Sourcebook of Techniques and Projects' by Valerie Michael

'Leatherwork - a Practical Guide' by Chris Taylor

There are dozens, probably hundreds, of videos about leatherwork on YouTube, watch as many as you have the stamina for. Make it easier by Searching for different aspects and categories - beginners; tools; or particular items, as in your interest list

I can recommend videos by Ian Atkinson and Nigel Armitage

Have a look at the websites for Tandy, and Goods Japan. They will give you an idea of the types & prices of tools, though there are many other suppliers Try Searching Google for 'leather tools europe'

Don't forget this forum! Especially Getting Started; Tools; and Sewing. It's almost certain that most of your questions will have been asked before

Have a look at this supplier; they are Italian, and might be easier for you to buy from      https://buyleatheronline.com     

I got something similar to the books you mentioned but about woodwork

so gonna buy some for my collection too ( I collect those types of books )

the website you mentioned looks pretty good as it tells you what type of leather you need

so for someone like me that never did leather apart from a leather apron but by hand not with machine 

thanks

I forgot to mention I am trying to learn how to sew with a machine ( singer 45k)

thanks for the plentiful info guys I really appreciate it