Sign in to follow this  
Dodong

Keeping white white.

How do I keep white leather white? Whatever I try -beeswax - neatsfoot - saddle soap ... Will make it turn yellow. 

Calf's leather veg tan. 

What will happen if I try white shoepolish? (Asking because I don't have any ) 

What's the trick please? 

second.jpg

first.jpg

G'Day , well, assuming you're talking about natural veg tan leather, it won't stay ' white'.Natural veg tan leather is photosensitive. 

Over time , it will  darken just like us humans get a bit of  natural  tan after being out in the sun. 

I have attached a few pics (  some practice pieces) as an example of how leather can change colour. Over time it will  get even darker. 

Both pieces are just a few scraps of some  natural veg tan leather. The  last pic  is my camera case. That was once ' white' . 

There are white dyes available , but I prefer the natural ' patina' :) 

Hope all this helps.

HS 

Assorted Leather Pics Dec. 2013 127.jpg

Assorted Leather Pics Dec. 2013 128.jpg

Camera case.jpg

Edited by Handstitched

Short answer: you cant.

Long answer: leather (especially veg tanned) naturally darkens and browns over time. That is simply a fact of life. If its a dyed leather, like dyed by the tannery, to have white pigment in it, the process might be delayed or somewhat diminished, but it will still change. 

The best way that I can suggest to preserve its current appearance as long as possible would be to coat it in resolene. Once dry it doesnt change the leathers colour from what it currently is, and in my personal experience seems to arrest the exposure-driven darkening to a degree, but again, it wont permanently stop it from changing. At least what it will do though is stop it from getting dirty or grubby from use, which causes that gross black/green discolouration that some people here mistake for 'nice patina'

Aside from that, the only way to keep it white is to paint it.....

Other white leather goods that you may have seen from established manufacturers, idk purses, bags, etc, are (if even real leather) most certainly made of chrome tanned leather, which is an entirely separate beast

6 hours ago, VabaX said:

At least what it will do though is stop it from getting dirty or grubby from use, which causes that gross black/green discolouration that some people here mistake for 'nice patina'

So where is that ' black /green discolouration in those images ? And besides, I like my ' patina',thank you very much. 

HS

Edited by Handstitched