Sign in to follow this  
Steve

reference point for riggings

Wondering what others use as your reference point for riggings, middle of the fork, low point of the front pad or what? I got the DVD from Dale Harwood when it came out, haven’t got to watch it but once. but I think he said he uses 1.5†back from the center of the fork for each position instead of 1â€Â. That was the first time I’d heard that measurement used

A couple of years ago I ask the guy that taught me to build saddles the same question, his reply was “ well I guess I’ve built so many I just put them where they look right†and I assume that’s what he did, because I sure never saw him measure or mark anything before he put the near side on.

I always used the center of the fork, but I believe in one of Bruce's post he said that originally the front and rear pads were used as reference points. For some reason that make more sense to me. I've checked the last 2 trees I used. One was a Bowden the other a Rick Reed, both Wades. There was about 3/4" difference between the center of the fork and the low point of the front pad on Ricks tree, not hardly as much on the other. Of course I might not be getting a real accurate measurement on RR tree, he tappers the fork into the bars really smooth.

Edited by Steve

Wondering what others use as your reference point for riggings, middle of the fork, low point of the front pad or what? I got the DVD from Dale Harwood when it came out, haven't got to watch it but once. but I think he said he uses 1.5" back from the center of the fork for each position instead of 1". That was the first time I'd heard that measurement used

A couple of years ago I ask the guy that taught me to build saddles the same question, his reply was " well I guess I've built so many I just put them where they look right" and I assume that's what he did, because I sure never saw him measure or mark anything before he put the near side on.

I always used the center of the fork, but I believe in one of Bruce's post he said that originally the front and rear pads were used as reference points. For some reason that make more sense to me. I've checked the last 2 trees I used. One was a Bowden the other a Rick Reed, both Wades. There was about 3/4" difference between the center of the fork and the low point of the front pad on Ricks tree, not hardly as much on the other. Of course I might not be getting a real accurate measurement on RR tree, he tappers the fork into the bars really smooth.

Hi Steve

I have always measured off the pads of the bars same as Bruce. Since the bars fit the horse and the rigging holds them in place I can't see how the fork would really have any bearing other than it just might or might not line up with the pads. I kind of subscribe to the theory that the rigging and bars belong to the horse and the fork and cantle belong to the rider.

I also use the 1.5" measurment as I was taught that it is based on a 3" ring thus moving one half ring back gives you the next position etc.

I have a saddle in my shop at this time( Lord knows who made the tree) and the fork is so far off from being centered with the pad that if you did use the fork to set the rigging it would be forward of the actual full position by at least 1". That can lead to a number of stability problems and undesired pressure points.

Blake