GregS

Teach me about hardware

So I've just been doing some leatherwork for a couple of weeks.  I've made a couple of items that use various hardware.  I've used some Chicago screws, eyelets and snaps.  The only local shop I know of is a Tandy store.  I've been getting all my stuff from them.  As you guys know, their stuff tends to be a little on the higher priced side of things and while I don't mind paying a premium price for a high quality item, I'm not sure that the quality of their stuff warrants the higher price.

As I'm looking around for alternative sources for hardware, I'm finding that there seems to be quite a few different descriptions of hardware.  For instance, Tandy carries Line 20 snaps.  These are 11 mm across the cap.  But as I look around, I find that "standard" size 16 snaps are 10.7mm across.  Pretty close.  I also see that there are things like 201 and 203 snaps, 201 are 15mm, 203 are 12.5mm.

Modern snaps have been around for over 100 years. Isn't there some sort of standard for them?

I haven't looked into eyelets, rivets and the other hardware and there is probably a similar issue with those.

Buckleguy.com and Ohiotravelbag are both good sources for hardware.  

We are in the middle of selling off the inventory of a leather mfr. company which was in business for over 60 years. He only purchased high end hardware (North & Judd, Rivets from Germany, etc.) you can visit some of our other posts and get the whole story. You can click the ebay link below to begin getting a feel for what we have and there is a .pdf on our other post. Let me know if we can help.

Thank you.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/192829587394