Rusagonis

stamping letters, and keeping aligned

Hey folks. Lots of information on here. a great resource. I've looked for this question, but cannot find an answer.

I know when stamping letters with the 3D stamps, you keep the last letter in place to help with alignment and placement. Makes a lot of sense. The question i have is, what if you have the same two letters in a row? as an example the word BOOK, or TOOL. is there a trick to keeping everything aligned and properly spaced in this instance?

Thanks for any insight.

Hi Rusagonis and welcome to the craft and forum.

If you Google this phrase "how to align letter stamps on leather" you will get results on this forum. and some other interesting ideas.

4 hours ago, Rusagonis said:

I know when stamping letters with the 3D stamps, you keep the last letter in place to help with alignment and placement. Makes a lot of sense. The question i have is, what if you have the same two letters in a row? as an example the word BOOK, or TOOL. is there a trick to keeping everything aligned and properly spaced in this instance?

Other than having two sets of letters

A few methods, using word BOOK

1. Do B, then O, use a Q as a spacer, do K, leave K in place, remove Q and replace with O, and if necessary place Q over first O

2. Use an alignment frame, like this;  https://www.tandyleather.eu/en/product/leather-stamp-guide    Mark where the side of the first O block would be against the second O. Hand stamp each letter, move O over to the marks and stamp.

I use a jig like this or one made of thick card for use under my press.  I align all the letters needed, for a duplicate letter I put in a letter block the same size. I remove that letter block, cover the rest with a piece of steel plate and press. I then move the duplicate letter into place and press again. Thats how I did something with the name ROGER on it ~ although the R is on the ends the name had to be aligned and set inside a design so I needed to use a letter blank on the end