Gullex

First try at armor- starting with a gauntlet

20190327_135453.jpg

Since my hardening method was so successful, I figured it only made sense to try my hand at a piece of armor. I’m going to build a full arm piece, gauntlet to pauldron. I began with the gauntlet, and made a pattern by donning a long, thick rubber glove, wrapping in tape, and drawing my desired pattern on it before cutting it off. This had to be done twice as so many plates overlapped. Once those were cut out, I transferred them to leather, cut them out, wet formed, and assembled into my first attempt which was considerably too small. Pictured here is my second try, which I began last night. I increased certain aspects of several pieces, and now I feel it fits much better and affords decent protection. The next step will be to adjust the fit of individual pieces by lightly dampening and holding into shape until dry. I’ll then punch holes and slots for joints, and these will all be lined with copper for durability and impact resistance. Following that, I’ll add stamping over the entire piece and mark for stitch holes. I anticipate stamping will change the shape a bit, and a final adjustment for proper fit will be needed after stamping. The piece will be stitch on areas not being padded. I’ll then apply my hardening technique, and afterwards stitch in necessary padding, and finish up the edges. This piece will not be used in actual combat, but will instead be a show piece, despite being fully battle-ready.

Edited by Gullex

WOW! Awesome looking piece already, even without the stamping, padding and final wet moulding.

I am waiting for the next instalment of this build.

Yeah....this one is going to be worth following. Lookin' quite badass already.