hbound201

Considering a sewing machine

I do more blacksmithing work but I'd like to make leather items to go with the tools I make. Wood chisels, knife sheaths are two examples. I'm hand stitching now but I'm considering a sewing machine to save time. 

I see old winger 29k and 45k from time to time in my area for 350-600. Used walking foots run around 1k depending upon model but quickly go up in cost.

I'm tempted by a manual machine like the two singers I mentioned and I consider the tippmann and the new cowboy but their price point puts them into electric category for me.

I'm interested in are manual machines new or old any good and why would you get new over old save for warranty and being new. Any other advantages newer has over the older singers.

For my other question any advice on manual vs electric?

The 29k machines are for patching shoes, boots, vests and other small items that need short runs of stitching with thin thread. They are good for a little over 1/4 to 5/16 inch of leather, but the stitches get shorter at this height than at 1/8 inch and less.

45k models have various drive systems. Most can sew at least 3/8 inch and use much heavier thread and needles than the 29 series.

Triple feed walking foot machines are for upholstery, zippers, aprons, vests, pouches and cases. They usually max out at 3/8 inch with #138 thread.

It sounds like the 45k would suit my needs. I do see those from time to time pop up for 400-600 bucks "working". I do lean towards a motor driven one to save time but space savings of a manual is nice as well and its portability also. Is portability and the added thickness the advantage of the Boss and new outlaw over the older treadle models?

I do like the cowboy 3200 but 1800 is more than I'd care to sink into a new one. Again I'm in the early stages of this as we are moving but I'm thinking about my new workshop and what I'd like to upgrade and what I'd like to get rid of.