DanishMan

PFAFF 1245 synchronizer bracket.

Dear Friends

I am going to pick up a very neat PFAFF 1245 tomorrow. Got it for 300 euros and it looks to be in mint condition.

As expected it is fitted with a clutch motor, which I intend to replace with a servomotor.

Could any of you possibly tell me, what kind of bracket is needed for attaching a synchronizer to the handwheel. I suspect it will be

slightly more complicated, since the handwheel belt pulley is inward of the the hand wheel itself.

Kind regards

Danish Man

Usually, on other machines, the "synchroniser" ( head part of the needle positioner system ) sits on the end of the shaft that the hand wheel is on, and is held in place ( prevented from rotating ) by being attached to a bracket on the belt cover, or by a bracket attached to the machine just below the hand wheel, often to one of the screw posts on the machine that the belt cover would have been attached to, if it is missing.

As long as there is sufficient length of the shaft protruding out from the hand wheel to "hang" the syncro' head on, you should not have any problems, just might have to make bracket that is longer than usual.

The belt pulley is "inboard" ( nearer to the needle end ) of the machine than the hand wheel on many machines..as on my Singer 211..I don't like needle positioners though..They are OK for fast production work in factories, but a right pain on slow work like leather..you don't always want the needle either all the way up or all the way down when it stops.

Edited by mikesc

Congratulations with your machine. Did you buy the machine for sale in Hvidovre?

I just read some forum treads regading needle positioner. Most servo motors have problems in using a needle positioner, if you also use a speed reducer on the machine. It is not quite clear where the limits are. One reported, that with a gearing below 5 from servo motor shaft to handwheel shaft, it was possible to use a needle positioner.