dhaverstick

New arm guards for my moose hunt

My hunting buddy, Bret Shaw, and I are going moose hunting in British Columbia the first week of October and I decided to make us some arm guards to commemorate the occasion. Bret and I have been friends ever since we went on our first archery elk hunt way back in 2005. No elk were harmed but I came home with a good friend so I'd say the trip was a success.

The backing of these arm guards is vegetable tanned cowhide and the gray facing is giraffe hide. The black trim is deer hide and I carved the lace hooks from deer antler. I had the moose images laser etched onto some deer hide at the Springfield Leather Company. I then sewed everything up by hand using B-50 bowstring material and artificial sinew. I sure hope they bring us good luck!

Darren

OBuVRfn.jpg
f0VMbLl.jpg
7kKNEQj.jpg
heIIQbq.jpg

Stitching is even, I like the hand-carved hooks, the date and the laser engraved detail. I like it all.

Nice! If you get a moose are you going to do anything with the hide?

On 9/5/2019 at 10:42 PM, VargS said:

Nice! If you get a moose are you going to do anything with the hide?

If I can I will take it to a tannery and have it made into leather. That's what I did with the one I killed in Alberta. Ended up with 30+ square feet of premium moose hide!

Darren