bartug1

Leather Drink Coaster

I was wanting to make some really nice leather drink coasters.  Wanting to see what type of leather you all might recommend for me to use.  I have been looking at some English Bridle or Harness leather but not sure what might be best!  Does anyone have any experience with making these?  I will stitch around the edges and will stamp my logo on them.  Also, do you recommend sealing them, etc..

Thanks in advance for any advice

Barry

You can use practically any type of leather really. I have a piece of white chrome tanned crud I got in a remnant pack from Hobby Lobby for a coaster at work and it does just fine. I've been kicking around making a few out of nicer veg tan and doing some tooling though. I was planning on leaving them untreated aside from maybe a little NFO or go the complete opposite side of the spectrum and beeswaxing it fully.

Methinks mostly anything will work for just a coaster. If you want a pretty coaster, you're gonna want vegtan so you can get the edges nice and tool it if you choose. If you seal it it won't absorb though, so if that is part of your plan, take note.

Post pics when you get the plan ironed out and act.