SDP

New to Leather, out West.

Hello everyone, I hope you are all doing well. I have just completed a few small hand stitching project and have built a stitching pony. I hope to get some much needed leather assistance from all of you, looking forward to improving my leather work and hopefully get a better understanding on how to purchase the correct leather and avoid buying unnecessary tools and products.

Good luck.  Lots of resources here.  What part of California?

Thanks SaddleBags, I'm in orange county. I hope to get some assistance especailly with leather selection and what tool will benefit me the most.

The closest supplier to you is probably Goligers,  in Ventura.  Carlos is very knowledgeable and will not steer you wrong.  As for tools, I would suggest that you invest in a good head knife and if you will be doing any tooling at all, a top-quality swivel knife.  Before investing in a lot of other tools, it would be helpful to know what types of this you will build.  Saddle making takes a whole different set of tools than does wallet and belt making.  Let me know where I can help.

Edited by SaddleBags
spelling

SaddleBags, Thank you for your suggestion, I plan to start small with wallets, sheaths and belts. I am currently working on hand stitching and working on the basics hopefully moving onto hand carving and stamping once I have gained some proficient skills.

8 hours ago, SDP said:

SaddleBags, Thank you for your suggestion, I plan to start small with wallets, sheaths and belts. I am currently working on hand stitching and working on the basics hopefully moving onto hand carving and stamping once I have gained some proficient skills.

I'm just curious as a newbie in leather craft:  Have you tried to use a sewing machine? Or do you plan handcraft only? That's a big deal I think

Hello MolyCW, I prefer to learn new things the traditional way however once I become profishent the possibility of using a machine may be consider. My intention are small step first then refinement which it's always better to move slow and learn the basics well before make a large investment on equipment. With that said you could invest in a hand powered cobbler machine which are all over YT for about $125.00 to start machine sewing.

Welcome to the forum SDP. Im in Huntington Beach. Message me, maybe we could get together