Tlogan

Cobra 18- Help

Looking at buying a like new cobra 18.  Ready to sew.  I mainly make belts, bags, wallets, note pad covers etc.  Mainly belts tho.  My thickest belt is 3/8".  Will this machine work well for me?

Thanks in advance for helping!

I'd get something a bit heavier.  3/8" is about 24 ounce leather.       

II agree with JLS. Checking the specs on the Cobra class 18 it will sew up to 20 oz leather which is about 8mm (0.315 inches). This would be below your belt requirement of 3/8 inch (0.375 inches) or about 9.5mm.

kgg

Ok just measure when I got home, it’s actually 5/16 oz veg tan. Still thinking to come something else? Just a hobbyist and found this machine for $1000 which is upper price point for the relatively low use but hand stitching belts is not an option for my patience 

I have used a Cobra 18 for several (many) years.  It will sew 3/8" all day everyday.  My main use with it now is 69thread through and 18 needle, but I have sewed many miles using 138 when making chaps and chinks.  It is a great machine I endorse it completely.

Hey, TLogan....for what you are wanting to do that machine should work fine for you. I invite you to check out Cobra Machines at the Leather Machine Company. If you have any questions about your machine you can call their tech support and they will be more than willing to help you. Here is the link for your specs: https://leathermachineco.com/product/cobra-class-18-compound-needle-feed-triple-feed-walking-foot-machine/.

Rick

I'm not trying to talk you in to or out of anything.  Get the machine you think you should get.  I'm not the sewing machine guy by ANYBODY'S standard. 

But I know machinery a bit, and as a rule you want to run them FAR SHORT of "capacity".. an analogy that may be useful (or not - whatever):

I bought this car.  Speedo goes up to 130.  Am I going to drive 120 ? - NO.  Will I drive 100? Probably not.  Did the auto maker, dealer, salesman, DOT..... anybody think that I bought this car to drive 100+, or that I should?  Uh.. no.  So WHY get a car that will (theoretically) do 130?  So that when I drive 70 I'm running the machine at [ again, theory ] 50-60% of it's capacity.  Running it at full on "what it's capable of" will burn it up quickly. Same goes for most equipment :dunno:

Flip the coin -- I don't see any sense in buying a porsche to go to the grocery store.  Sure, it'll git ya there, but you spend far more than what was necessary.

So somewhere between there, ask yourself

• what size thread you want to sew with (if that matters to you). 
  • Does the needle size matter?  135-17 needles WILL go through the leather, if that's your question.  But I wonder if it has the juice to pull a stitch tight thru that

Since you list location as "ohio", if it was me I'd call Bob and ask what he has and what he thinks.  He might have something you can SEE RUNNING and decide if that works for you?

Maybe ask Bob if that '18' isnt a Consew 206 with a paint job?  I had a 206, and it ran great - but I would NOT use it to sew belts made of veg tanned leather.

Thank you all for your help!  I did start by visiting Bob, he didn't have anything in stock at the time and said he rarely gets these machines in but 1-2 a year used.  The new price appears to be very competitive, but for a hobbyist I'm just not able to tie over $2,000 into a cowboy machine, which is what led me to look on here at used machines and found one at a local holster company that they obtained new for doing wallets.  

I know there is a ton to learn like with every hobby so I'm trying to do as much research as possible prior to jumping in to avoid making the wrong decision.  Because even at $1000 for this like new Cobra 18, that's a significant investment especially if its the wrong investment.

3 minutes ago, Tlogan said:

used machines and found one at a local holster company that they obtained new for doing wallets

That speaks volumes in itself.  We wouldn't use it for holsters (generally 1/4" thick) but for wallets (most likely around 8 oz total).  

8 hours ago, DrRick said:

A bit shy on info. I am going to ask what is the difference between the Cobra class 18 and a Juki 1541S which are about the same cost expect the speed reducer on the Cobra.

kgg