With the popularity of the slick forks, seems like bucking rolls are getting more popular too. I am curious on a few counts. I used to buy, was easier than making for me. Now I want to start making some. I have some patterns, and have seen some other variations in height and shape of the roll. I have seen some newer variations about center connections - thongs, wider lace, and the latest, a silver 3 piece buckle set. Some fasten up under the gullet. Some are stuffed with wool clippings, curled hair, synthetic stuffing, etc.

Also on using exotics, on some of the thinner ones, do you line them with something stronger for body?

Bruce, I have made some out of ostrich, and I did line it with some lightweight cream cow. I used to work for a leather suppler in Texas and we would sell the cream cow lining to boot makers. So, I thought it was a good fit. Also I made a pair with stingray (broken needles and profanity $&!%)! The welt was near impossible, probably would have been easier to hand stitch. That is the extent of the exotics, as for my padding I cram as much shearling trimming as I can, Its availabe & I have tons of it, unlike horse hair.

Bruce;

Jeremiah watt has come out with a new buck roll system, I have not yet seen them but I have heard very good things from my leather supply guy, he saw them at denver market and has some ordered which should be here in the next month. The new buck rolls have a foam insert that you have to cover. No more stuffing bucking rolls !!!! the system comes with a dvd instructing how to build them, pattern and the foam insert. sounds like a great system from what I have been told. As soon as I get it I will post results.

later

Steve

I almost hate to post on this one. I still do it the traditional way. I have a couple sizes and sometimes adjust the shape. Line with tight weave canvas and stuff with horse hair and stitch a nice flower on them.

I haven't yet gotten into exotics but they look great in many applications.

I look forward to seeing and hearing more about the foam filled JWs.GH

I'd certainly welcome a new way to make buckin' rolls. I stuff them with matress ticking. They're real quite hard, sometimes lumpy if your not careful with it. I've seen the ones JR made with the last using veg tan leather and has decarative cuts. They look really nice. It would be interesting to see what Jeremiah Watt makes with foam inserts or what ever. If someone has a picture or more information, I'd like to see it. I don't like making buckin' rolls at all using to current method with a welt sewn in, I've never used a lining.

later

bob

Hide, there is a pair on a saddle picture I posted here in the member gallery in December , it's an overhead veiw. I've got some more pics somewhere, you can do them seamless out of veg tan and chap leathers like usual. It's the same way a bootmaker lasts a boot, that's where I figured it out. Almost anything they can last into a boot you can do into a buckin' roll. One good thing about it is there is no welts to get busted open. And you can make a last any size or shape you like, I have a couple different sizes.

Note to self, call JW about the foam inserts tomorrow. Make a last to stretch bucking rolls over this weekend. This has been one stellar day. Thanks, Amigos.

boy you learn something new every day sometimes. that will be really interesting to see a pair without the welts. the one thing I like about stuffing them with wool is I feel like I'm not wasting all that since I've got a ton.

Called up Jeremiah yesterday and ordered a set of the buckin rolls. What he is selling is the bodies, a patten pack, and dvd on how to put them together. I just ordered the bodies and patten pack. Will make up a pair when I get them and post some pics.

Ashley

Called up Jeremiah yesterday and ordered a set of the buckin rolls. What he is selling is the bodies, a patten pack, and dvd on how to put them together. I just ordered the bodies and patten pack. Will make up a pair when I get them and post some pics.

Ashley

Anyone have a link?