I am trying to make some coasters using a chrome tanned leather - it seems like everything out there is for veg tanned.  From what I have read you don't want to use oil/wax on chrome tan because it clogs the pores?  I am mainly trying to waterproof but also condition.  Also I used colored leathers so don't want any color changes.

27 minutes ago, Husky3 said:

I am trying to make some coasters using a chrome tanned leather - it seems like everything out there is for veg tanned.  From what I have read you don't want to use oil/wax on chrome tan because it clogs the pores?  I am mainly trying to waterproof but also condition.  Also I used colored leathers so don't want any color changes.

In my experience, you are best to try different finishes, waterproofing, etc. on scrap before using it on finished work.  There are rules and then there are exceptions.  Leather varies widely.  There are some leathers that will certainly darken when a finish is applied.  So if that is a problem, better to find out on scrap.  Some chrome-tanned leathers come with a finish already on them too, so that also needs to be taken into account.

On 2/10/2020 at 5:36 AM, Husky3 said:

From what I have read you don't want to use oil/wax on chrome tan because it clogs the pores?  I am mainly trying to waterproof but also condition.  Also I used colored leathers so don't want any color changes.

I use oil/beeswax on chrome tan all the time to provide a protective finish. As to the color changes, you will want to experiment on some scrap first. Some chrome tanned leathers can change color after the oil/wax application and some won't. One thing you might notice is that when applying a finish/conditioner to chrome tanned leathers, some color might rub off, but not always.