Sign in to follow this  
BigAlC

Engraved wood blocks

Hi,

I came across some work by Thomas Bewick, an 18th Cent engraver who lived and worked not far from me in North East England. His origional wood blocks are incredible. All are no bigger than 3"x3". They were cut to ilustrate natural history books. In the right hands I think that they could make great leather work patterns.

I'm posting a couple, If anybody would like a specific bird or animal, let me know and I'll see what I can dig out.

Cheers

Al

9039019.jpgDSCF2044w.jpg

post-155-1158513200_thumb.jpg

post-155-1158513298_thumb.jpg

Al- what a great find! And a good idea for anyone looking for patterns- engravings. old or modern, convert to leather patterns well. I looked up Thomas Bewick and found a lot of interesting material on the net, including this link:

http://web.ukonline.co.uk/archer/bewickmain.html

which shows the range of talent this man had for illustration. In his time, books were expensive, and every illustration had to be produced from an engraving like this.

My husband is a millwright, and they have lasers that can cut to within 10,000ths of an inch, programmed by computers. This gentleman did fine work by eye, with his two hands, just like we leatherworkers still do.

Super idea, and thanks for sharing!

Johanna