Sign in to follow this  
willlisak

union lockstitch line shaft/belt drive to electric conversion

Hello to everyone, I've got a union lockstitch machine from an amish tack shop auction that is set up to run on overhead flat belt drive and I want to put it on a normal sewing machine table with electric motor and have a few questions about the process, as I've never done this before. 

1. can I run this heavy machine off of a normal industrial sewing machine motor and a normal home electric outlet? 

2. Can I run it off one of those new servo motors that can change the speed? 

3. The balance wheel pulley is for a wide flat belt, can I find a wide belt pulley to go on a sewing machine motor instead of the Vbelt? If so, where? 

2. do I need some kind of conversion setup between the flat belt and the v belt? 

Any help is much appreciated! 

- Will 

You might have luck if you contact Campbell Randall in Texas. They have ULS parts and rebuilt machines. If they don't reply to an email, their phone number is (936) 539-1400 (Central Time). Otherwise, call Toledo Industrial Sewing Machines at (866) 362-7397 and ask if they happen to have an extra flywheel.

As for motorizing it, the standard setup has a top mounted, 110v, continuous run 1/2 horsepower motor fitted with a double pulley. One pulley feeds the flywheel and the other drives the bobbin winder. The flywheel contains a routed conical clutch ring that (foot) presses against a cone shaped metalized material brake that drives the machine. It will take some major modifications to run it from a servo or even a clutch motor. I guess you could force the flywheel clutch to be permanently engaged and use the motor to power it.

Many thanks Wiz, I figured it would be more complicated than just hooking it up to a motor. I'll contact campbell, I'm just worried having them fix me up a setup might be out of my budget. 

all the best, 

- Will 

7 hours ago, willlisak said:

Many thanks Wiz, I figured it would be more complicated than just hooking it up to a motor. I'll contact campbell, I'm just worried having them fix me up a setup might be out of my budget.

all the best,

- Will 

Parts for Union Lockstitch Machines are dear.