AdamZ

Another new Aussie

Hi everyone, I'm Adam from South Australia. I had a quick scroll through through the recent Members Gallery posts and saw one other Aussie had posted fairly recently, and a few others chimed in mentioning that there's more than one of us on here which is good to see, Happy to learn and share with people from all over the world though anyway. I've only started working with leather very recently. I'm interested in making a wide range of things based around my interests, fishing, archery and the outdoors, as well as some everyday practical items like wallets, watch straps and perhaps even some bags eventually.

My first project was the hood section of a bow mounted arrow quiver. it came out much better than I expected - not perfect, but good enough that I felt encouraged to keep going. I happened to have an archery finger tab that was worn out on one side, so I decided I'd take the worn part off and replace it with a customised piece.

Next was a sheath for a Stanley knife which I use to cut my leather. I used the youtube video by Weaver Leathercraft but made some changes including adding a leather belt loop instead of a metal clip. I also made a short fob/lanyard loop thing which while relatively simple in design was a real pain as it is made with one thin strip of leather folded back on itself and stitched together along much of it's length. I made plenty of mistakes along the way and learned a lot and am pretty excited to try making some sheaths for other knives too.

I'm currently working on my first prototype for a fly reel case. I'm not overly happy with it, but as I put it together I am formulating ideas for improving the design.

I'll make a few posts with pictures elsewhere on the forum that will include photos during the making process, but here's a couple pictures.

_69W2465.JPG

_69W2581.jpg

Welcome to the forum. Nice looking projects.

Welcome! Looks as good as Chuck's ute knife sheath :) 

Nice bush craft from Straya!