AdamZ

First project, and perhaps something different

Hi everyone, this was my first project. Truth be told it is still not finished. This is the hood of a bow mounted arrow quiver. It is mounted to the top limb of a bow. I still need to make the bottom piece of the quiver which is seperate and mounts on the bottom limb of the bow. Basically, you push the points of the arrows into the hood (there is foam inside it), and on the piece I am yet to make there are grippers that hold the other end of the arrow in place. For the picture I balanced the other end of the arrows on something that was out of frame. I'll post pictures of the build in a comment below. Thanks for looking, and I'm happy to take any criticism, however please note I made this up as I went along after looking at commercially available ones for ideas. I also just bought a scrap bag of veg tanned leather, some thread and dye that were on sale along with a cheap two prong diamond chisel.

I've since purchased a poly mallet rather than the mini hammer covered in velcro that I used on this project, as well as a few other tools and have completed a couple of other projects which I will post about separately. I'm also working on a prototype fly fishing reel case at the moment which I'll be asking for some advice on in the right area of the forum. Anyway, thanks for looking!

_69W2465.thumb.JPG.549a30188875823ebda7eefbd224c62d.JPG

.1125909825_1stIMG_5312copy.thumb.jpg.123cd97ce8b17a1aac99c97f3e216bb6.jpg

Leather cut and holes punched ready for stitching. I had burnished the curved edges as best as I could with water and the handle of a wooden spoon

2088086493_2ndIMG_5313copy.thumb.jpg.3c9377c153c8bfe8c68c19c55ebbbabc.jpg

One stitch on the top pulled through the leather, it has not effected the functionality and is barely noticeable, especially since dyeing it. The rest of the stitching went surprisingly well. commercially made leather quiver hoods use a similar stitch but with a thicker thread or lace and less, but bigger holes.

577702850_4thIMG_5315copy.thumb.jpg.2ebf5de889bec29ab91c80efd097a3c8.jpg

Some black alcohol dye and it was done. I wanted black thread but the only black thread they had in stock was more than I wanted to spend as I didn't know if this was going to work - that's why I dyed it after stitching. 

Looks great! What's the foam insert you used ?

8 hours ago, kiwican said:

Looks great! What's the foam insert you used ?

Thanks. The foam was just the densest foam I could get at a local place that sells foam and rubber products. I just cut it to fit as tightly as I could. The material in a pool noodle would have been better though I think, however they were not suitable because the ones I could get were all hollow and I needed solid foam. 

5 hours ago, Retswerb said:

Nice work, @AdamZ! Looking forward to seeing the whole thing when the other half is complete as well.

Thanks. With everything going on I can't go out to get what I need so it might be a while unfortunately.

Yep, lots of projects on hold for now. We’ll be back to (new) normal eventually, looking forward to seeing it then.