Sign in to follow this  
Guest Str8dego

Sewing sheepskin 1.5 oz

Guest Str8dego

Sorry in advance if this has already been discussed. I am having trouble finding information.

i am in the process of making a small bag and wanted to use 1.5oz sheepskin for the lining and pockets.  I typically hand sew, but wanted to try using one of my sewing machines to sew the pockets inserts for the bag interior.  

my machines :

singer 319W

singer 15-90

Both machines have been used to sew waxed duck canvas and 1-2 oz chrome tan for other projects.

i am having trouble with the top thread not wanting to pick up the bottom thread. I have tried adjusting top and bottom tension, changing the needle, changing the thread & bobbins; however, nothing has worked. I’ve retested with the previously mentioned fabrics and they sew perfectly.

i have noticed that the sheepskin has a lot more stretch than I am used to. What am I doing wrong or what could I try to make this work.

it does sew just fine on my CLSP, but that’s just a lot of handcranking.

than you for any advise you can give.

I imagine the sheep skin is not grabbing the needle enough for the loop of thread to form, maybe use a finer needle