Sign in to follow this  
gigidept

Craftmaster Standard 5-in-1 Edger Set

Hi All, I am in search of a small edge beveler, a size 0 or 1, on a budget, and thought I'd get your advice before purchasing. I use it for skiving 1-2oz straps that are glued back to back and stitched together, resulting in a 2-4oz thickness total. 

Does anyone have experience using the Craftmaster Standard 5-in-1 Edger Set? I read the reviews on the SLC website, and they are paltry and mixed, so I don't put too much stock into them. (I have a sharpening stone so can sharpen tools myself.) Or should I go with The Craftmaster Common Edger? or the Osborne Commone Edge Beveler? Or the Osborne Bissonnette Beveler? So many options. 

If you are skiving you need a skiver or French edger not a regular edger!  I don’t think you could find any more interests could you! Lol

23 hours ago, Rhale said:

If you are skiving you need a skiver or French edger not a regular edger!  I don’t think you could find any more interests could you! Lol

oops i mistyped - meant to say bevel, not skive. 

There are interests unlisted, though perhaps i took that section of the bio too literally. Didn't realize that it would be displayed next to every post ha. 

Also realized I posted this in the wrong section of the forum. Moderators can move it? Or shall I repost in the correct area? 

I'm sure all the tools you've linked too are fine and I have a few of those styles of bevelers, and I've even used my French skiver sometimes, I do now have a preference for these; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5pcs-V-Shaped-Hand-Working-Leather-Stitching-Working-Hand-Leather-Edge-Skiv-M3Y6/303229244553 , with a finger on the finger-divot they fit neatly along the forefinger betwixt finger and thumb.

I would recommend saving a little more money and get a #2 or #3 Barry King they are worth the difference in price!

15 hours ago, fredk said:

I do now have a preference for these; https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5pcs-V-Shaped-Hand-Working-Leather-Stitching-Working-Hand-Leather-Edge-Skiv-M3Y6/303229244553 , with a finger on the finger-divot they fit neatly along the forefinger betwixt finger and thumb.

Thanks fredk, it's unclear from the listing, or at least I can't figure it out; Are these all different sizes, or the same size? It kind of looks like the blade is 3mm on all of them.

14 hours ago, Rhale said:

I would recommend saving a little more money and get a #2 or #3 Barry King they are worth the difference in price!

I have a #2 - not a Barry King but rather a Craftool - and it's too big. I want a finer effect which is why I'm going for the #0-1 size. That being said, I have been salivating over the Barry King line. Could you elaborate on why they're worth the difference in price over say Craftool? (Aside from the obvious that the money would be going to support a real artisan rather than a factory).

It seems like all edgers by different mfg. are different in size,  a #2 Barry King is smaller than a #2 Craftool!  The Barry King comes sharp and ready to use, much sharper than the craftool, it will hold an edge longer and thus you don’t need to sharpen very often, just strop.  If you are edging 4 to 5 oz total leather I use #2 , but a #3 will work as well it depends on the edge you want.  Hope this helps! Rodney 

2 hours ago, gigidept said:

Thanks fredk, it's unclear from the listing, or at least I can't figure it out; Are these all different sizes, or the same size? It kind of looks like the blade is 3mm on all of them.

The ones I linked to are all the same size. They take off about 1/2 mm from the edge. You can get larger sizes which take off about 1mm and there are sets with ones which make a U groove.

2 hours ago, gigidept said:

I have a #2 - not a Barry King but rather a Craftool - and it's too big. I want a finer effect which is why I'm going for the #0-1 size. That being said, I have been salivating over the Barry King line. Could you elaborate on why they're worth the difference in price over say Craftool? (Aside from the obvious that the money would be going to support a real artisan rather than a factory).

Superior steel and construction. Fiat or Camaro ? both will get you to the shops, the Fiat will do the job, but its nicer to drive a Camaro and it'll get you there with less fuss or fettling

I think what they are trying to tell you is if you invest in quality tools { yes a little more moo-la} but you will probably have it for the rest of your life. my early osborne tools are 50 yrs old and still used to this day.