Sign in to follow this  
Skvaughn

Tool for checking a stamping tool

I’m looking for the correct tool to cut checking into the face of a stamping tool. What tool is best and now do you use it? Thanks

1 hour ago, Skvaughn said:

I’m looking for the correct tool to cut checking into the face of a stamping tool. What tool is best and now do you use it? Thanks

do you mean checkering into, little diamond shapes, the face of a stamping tool?  If so a triangle file of the appropriate size, files cut on the push stroke so line it up and push it across the stamp lift it up and start over, dragging a file backwards across the work will dull it and could ruin your cut, just take your time. 

https://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/general-gunsmith-tools/files/metal-checkering-files-prod488.aspx

These are whats used to hand checker front straps and mainspring housings on 1911's.  After checkering a front strap then you use a file to bring out the points.  I'd think they'd work on stamps as well.

Scootch