NeilMott

Horween Horsebutt Strips (HBS) - dark navy blue & burgundy

Hey everyone.

I'm selling a couple of really nice Horween Horsebutt strips I recently purchased.   These are first run Horween Horsebutt Strips (Chromexcel), 5/6 oz thickness.   I took a gamble on these, never having used horse leather before.  It is REALLY nice to work with.  It skives and burnishes well and is a price performer (a good deal ;-D ).  The size of these is listed at 2-2.9 square feet.   I didn't know a lot about this leather, but Maverick leather sent this to me:  

The horse butt strips are often referred to as the north of the cordovan cut, as these are the section of the hide that is right next to the shell. Typically the horsefront or shoulder section of the hide is separated from the rear of the hide. The rear contains the strip and the shells. They are both veg tanned together for the first stage of tanning. Then the shells are cut from the strip and further veg tanned, where the strip then goes through its retan tanning process.

I used these to make a couple watch straps, as seen below.  The temper and quality of these is really really nice - slightly firm but they break in quickly.  I actually bought these 2 plus a "natural" strip, which I'm keeping.   I'm only selling these as they are a bit darker than I was hoping for.  The navy blue is very dark.  The colors are hard to tell by the photos, so I'm including pics of the watch straps I made using the leather.     Selling both of these together, for $30 shipped in the US.   You can message me here or email to nwmott@hotmail.com.  I'm also selling a manual leather splitter listed on another thread.  In each of the pictures, the burgundy hide is on top.

IMG_6114.thumb.JPG.e8aee5defadd3021432d0ba8d8ec70b3.JPGIMG_4652.JPG.32c60e42e1c962d6f723045c0926b7f3.JPGIMG_2541.JPG.d7e0d381aa9d826498589a56d3ade8e9.JPGThanks for your time,

Neil

horsehides.jpg

Still available.  The Navy blue really looks like a dark charcoal black...  

I'll take them. 

sold!