Sign in to follow this  
SteveHolt

Question regarding LCi Clear Lac

Hello good people, I recently purchased LCi Clear Lac from Panhandle Leather, and was hoping for some guidance on the best way to apply it. I’ve used the search function, but can’t seem to find an answer directly related to the issue I’m having. (Though admittedly I have probably not done enough browsing). 

I was hoping to use the Clear Lac as my topcoat finish; however, I haven’t been getting the best results. I am using 9-10oz Hermann Oak for belts dyed black with Fiebings Pro Dye. When applied full strength, the Clear Lac seems to heavily fade the color black (Which is quite the opposite for what I was hoping for - I picked up the Clear Lac after reading about its ability to add a heavy gloss to the final project). I have also thinned down the Clear Lac, using a very basic lacquer thinner from the local hardware store. (Roughly 3 parts Clear Lac/1 part Thinner). This resulted in (what I think) is the lacquer thinner picking up portions of the dye: There are literally parts of the strap that are entirely faded to grey. 

Anyhow, I know this is all very likely human error, and was hoping to possibly get some feedback from anyone currently using LCi’s Clear Lac. 

Thanks so much,

-SH

Edited by SteveHolt

I have been using Clearlac ever since Tandy removed Neatlac and have never had a problem with it subduing color.. I have to  admit I never use black, too many problems associated.  If you will try Fiebings "Cordovan dye" 99 out of 100 people can't tell it is not black, and you don't have the problems normally associated with black.  I have never tried thinning, can't tell you about that.

Hope this helps

Terry

30 minutes ago, terrymac said:

I have been using Clearlac ever since Tandy removed Neatlac and have never had a problem with it subduing color.. I have to  admit I never use black, too many problems associated.  If you will try Fiebings "Cordovan dye" 99 out of 100 people can't tell it is not black, and you don't have the problems normally associated with black.  I have never tried thinning, can't tell you about that.

Hope this helps

Terry

Thanks so much, Terry. I will definitely look into the Cordovan. Sounds like it could be a good alternative. 

Thanks again!

Chocolate pro dye gets almost black!  I have had similar problems with rub off and color problems with black,  I just won’t use black because of all the problems associated with it.  I use clear lac from panhandle leather, never had any problems with it.  I thinks it’s the black dye that’s the problem.

11 hours ago, Rhale said:

Chocolate pro dye gets almost black!  I have had similar problems with rub off and color problems with black,  I just won’t use black because of all the problems associated with it.  I use clear lac from panhandle leather, never had any problems with it.  I thinks it’s the black dye that’s the problem.

Appreciate your feedback! The black dye sounds like it could definitely be the issue. 

If you don’t mind me asking, do you thin the Clear Lac with anything or use full-strength?

Thanks again,

-SH

I have never tried thinning clear lac,  I don’t know of any reason to thin it ! 

On 6/17/2020 at 12:16 PM, SteveHolt said:

Hello good people, I recently purchased LCi Clear Lac from Panhandle Leather, and was hoping for some guidance on the best way to apply it. I’ve used the search function, but can’t seem to find an answer directly related to the issue I’m having. (Though admittedly I have probably not done enough browsing). 

I was hoping to use the Clear Lac as my topcoat finish; however, I haven’t been getting the best results. I am using 9-10oz Hermann Oak for belts dyed black with Fiebings Pro Dye. When applied full strength, the Clear Lac seems to heavily fade the color black (Which is quite the opposite for what I was hoping for - I picked up the Clear Lac after reading about its ability to add a heavy gloss to the final project). I have also thinned down the Clear Lac, using a very basic lacquer thinner from the local hardware store. (Roughly 3 parts Clear Lac/1 part Thinner). This resulted in (what I think) is the lacquer thinner picking up portions of the dye: There are literally parts of the strap that are entirely faded to grey. 

Anyhow, I know this is all very likely human error, and was hoping to possibly get some feedback from anyone currently using LCi’s Clear Lac. 

Thanks so much,

-SH

I haven't found the materials/ chemical list for Clear Lac , but this is obviously user error. You must have assumed that since it has Lac in the name that lacquer thinner was what you're supposed to use as thinner. Lacquer thinner is even stronger than acetone which is used to strip leather dye. You made a horrible mistake. if you had sprayed it on it could have worked but my instinct tells me it's thinner is either denatured alcohol or possibly water. alcohol is less harsh, but you could still rub off the dye. Use full strength or if alcohol is the true thinner than spray it on. even full strength I would use an airbrush or 0.5mm - 0.7mm airgun, harbor freight $30 and $15 depending on touch up model.  or spraygunsdirect.co.uk  and the Iwata LPH80 Touch-Up Gravity with 70ml cup at 0.6mm nozzle $260

52 minutes ago, eksine said:

I haven't found the materials/ chemical list for Clear Lac , but this is obviously user error. You must have assumed that since it has Lac in the name that lacquer thinner was what you're supposed to use as thinner. Lacquer thinner is even stronger than acetone which is used to strip leather dye. You made a horrible mistake. if you had sprayed it on it could have worked but my instinct tells me it's thinner is either denatured alcohol or possibly water. alcohol is less harsh, but you could still rub off the dye. Use full strength or if alcohol is the true thinner than spray it on. even full strength I would use an airbrush or 0.5mm - 0.7mm airgun, harbor freight $30 and $15 depending on touch up model.  or spraygunsdirect.co.uk  and the Iwata LPH80 Touch-Up Gravity with 70ml cup at 0.6mm nozzle $260

LCI closed a while back about the same time this thread came up.  MSDS sheets might be available from an old reseller.