olivermarks

jammed consew 206rb help suggestions

I have a first series 206rb I just had serviced and it was running perfectly until it suddenly jammed today - I think there might be some thread caught up somewhere behind the bobbin case. (I'm using Nylon upholstery thread). I've been practicing on the machine and often see an unexplained short extra length of thread coming out of the bobbin thread hole. Not sure if this is me being sloppy and allowing threads from my practice pieces to be pulled down the hole and snapped or why this keeps happening. I tried to pull a piece of extra thread out with pliers but was unsuccessful after the machine suddenly locked up while I was practicing piping on naugahyde/vinyl. 

The safety disconnect hasn't gone off - I took the foot plates off but can't see anything unusual. It looks as though the bobbin case is impeded by the tab on the hook supporting plate - I can rock the wheel back and forth enough to see this, video below. I can get the bobbin case part way out but not all the way as the two spots are about 2 inches apart, so near yet so far!

Any clues on how to resolve this greatly appreciated  - the machine was running perfectly and I don't want to screw it up!

I also cross posted the above on this old thread yesterday as it has useful contextual info.

Answering my own post with resolution in case anyone is searching. The thread was stuck between the bobbin case base and the hook. I had to undo the three tiny screws on the bobbin case base hook gib to release the hook and then get the thread out. Gave it a good clean up and the hook is spinning again now within the bobbin case base. If you need to remove the three tiny screws have a large clear plastic catch bag taped under the work area so if you drop one it doesn't disappear south somewhere while reinstalling.

Edited by olivermarks

I have found a very small amount of Blue Tack (or similar) on the blade of the screwdriver helps holding those tiny screws to the blade.

Bert.

Another little tip, 'magnetise' the screwdriver , just give it a good rub a few times with any  magnet,   so the screw sticks to it as you (gently) pull it out . 

Just something I did when I use to repair old vintage radios,  in another life :) 

HS