Sign in to follow this  
gunfighter48

thread help

I am making belts and concealed carry holster and wanted to find out what size and type of thread would be best for use on machines. Also where are you buying your thread.

Thanks for your help.

I am making belts and concealed carry holster and wanted to find out what size and type of thread would be best for use on machines. Also where are you buying your thread.

Thanks for your help.

Here is where to get your thread.

Artisan Sewing Suppiles

6470 Corvette Street, Commerce, CA 90040 U.S.A.

Toll Free: (888) 838-1408 - Toll Free Fax: (866) 838-1508

International Tel: 01-323-838-1408 - Fax: 01-323-838-1508

E-Mail: artisansew@aol.com

The best synthetic thread made was Rice Nylon, They no longer make it and the supply has just about dried up. Next best is Coats poly (DaBond®) which is now what I consider the finest synthetic available. I use sizes 346 and 277 and sometimes as low as 207 for some dainty little thing. I use 138 for cellphone "holsters" (I don't know of anything I make that somehow doesn't end up looking a little like a holster). For period work I use 4 or 5 cord Barbour's on a needle and awl machine. When I want more of an "old West" feel but want to use poly, I use Eddington which is not wrapped or laid as tightly as Coats (and for a guy who is not wrapped too tightly or laid enough, I guess that's appropriate). Of course, always use left or "Z" twist in and straight needle machine.

Get Coats in common stitcher sizes and colors from Ferdco.

Smaller put-ups and sizes and more colors of Coats can be found at SFS (Shoe Factory Supply), ask for Dan Bussey, 800-256-3892.

Get Eddington and Barbours threads from Campbell Bosworth.

Art

Thanks for your help.