Sallis

Adler 5-6 manual and use

Hello. 

I have this adler 5-6, very heavy machine. It's huge compared to my singer 29k1.

Do anyone have manual for this? 

Is there any parts available? It's quite good condition right now but wondering.. 

And how thick leather or cord it can take? Needles witch came with machine are very big.  It has good electricmotor and sewing slow is very easy with it.  Sorry for my bad english.. 

_20200714_164456.JPG

I have a Adler 105-6 and I believe that it is similar to your 5-6, to get information on old Adler's go to this site, http://sew24.blogspot.com/p/downloads.html

For parts manual try this http://www.duerkopp-adler.com/commons/download/download-text-attachments/Vintage_Parts_Books_Adler/105.pdf

For Operators Manual try this, http://www.duerkopp-adler.com/commons/download/download-text-attachments/Vintage_Manuals_Adler/Manual_Adler_104_105.pdf

I love my Adler, it was my first true heavy machine and I mean heavy, I had to drive over 1000 K's to get it, stay over night and drive 1000K's home, well worth the drive.

Bert.

PS.

I just realised you asked about thread sizes, I used needles from size 18 to size 30 in my Adler. Size 30 looks like a 3 inch nail.

A member here has a good web site with good information and here is his needle and thread size chart. https://www.tolindsewmach.com/thread-chart.html

Edited by Bert51

I have a German language Adler5 manual if that helps. Please send me your Email address by PM please. But the Adler 105 manual Bert has linked should help you as well.

On 7/14/2020 at 3:55 PM, Sallis said:

Hello. 

I have this adler 5-6, very heavy machine. It's huge compared to my singer 29k1.

Do anyone have manual for this? 

Is there any parts available? It's quite good condition right now but wondering.. 

And how thick leather or cord it can take? Needles witch came with machine are very big.  It has good electricmotor and sewing slow is very easy with it.  Sorry for my bad english.. 

_20200714_164456.JPG

Hi Sallis,

I do have the same manual as Constabulary has..German. Don't think there are any English ones out there. The German one have good illustrations. Your machine is a bottom feed with roller foot and was made for leatherwork when new.

The needle system is Schmetz 328 LR but you can of course use other 328 needle points..LL, D and spear point (round) Sizes listed in manual goes from Nm 100 to 300, but it's only a couple subclasses that take the biggest needle. Practically it will sew with needles from Nm 160 to 250, perhaps 280. 

Needle to thread chart:

Nm160 is for thread tkt 20

Nm 180 for tkt 15 thread

Nm 200 for tkt 10 thread

Nm 230 for tkt 8 thread

Nm 250 and 280 for tkt 6 thread

If you can find that thick thread or linen 18/6 thread.

Linen threads:

Needle Nm180 for 25/3 and 4 cord or 18/3 cord

Nm 200 for 18/3 and 4 cord

Nm 230 for 18/4 and 5 cord

Nm 250 for 18/6 cord

Nm 280 for 18/6 cord 

Nm 300 for 18/7 cord

That's the linen thread table I doubt it will take the thickest threads above tkt 8 and 18/5.

The adjusted needle, normal needle your machine will perform best with is a 200 tkt 8 thread (the needle your machine is adjusted to work with). The 160 and smaller will be to long and thin, easily bend away from the hook and cause skipped stitches. The thicker 250 to 300 will easily get birds nests in your bobbin. The thicker needle could also get to close to the hook tip, hitting it and damage your shuttle. Always try turning by hand first when using big needles, check that it will not hit the shuttle tip. Normal problems with these are worn groves in bobbin and tension spring, causing insufficient bobbin tension. Worn broken bobbin tension adjustment screws etc. The original cl. 5 small open shuttle is now obsolete so you can't find part for it. You have to buy a new small closed shuttle, DA part # 0005 002904.  Price is between 400 to 100 Euro, original to aftermarket. The new closed shuttle will fit and is not to be confused with the similar Singer 45 K shuttle, that are often sold to fit the class 5 by after marked dealers. It's a difference between them on the hook tip. If your shuttle is good and tension thinner threads not much else can be broken on these machines.

Pic #3 shows the original (now obsolete) small open Adler shuttle that came with the machine.

Original part #05 195 (not sold anymore, replaced with DA # 0005 002904)

Of course the hole machine is now obsolete and parts not available anymore. But some parts from the newer generation 105-64 that still are supported will fit your machine.

You motor looks to be a Kobold slow speed clutch motor. I will be easy to sew slow on thinner materials but when you try on thick stuff it may struggle to keep at a slow pace. You could install a speed reducer gear pulleys or change it to a servo motor, or both.

These are quality machines but will of course mark up the backside of your leather by the feed dog. Try release the foot pressure and help the feed by hand (in the right moment only) Use water , a bone folder or a saddlers hammer to smooth out markings at once they are made.

Good luck with it!

Tor

IMG_20200723_201137.jpg

IMG_20200723_201119.jpg

IMG_20200723_210334.jpg

Le 15/07/2020 à 06h45, la gendarmerie a déclaré :

J'ai un manuel Adler5 en allemand si cela peut vous aider. S'il vous plaît envoyez-moi votre adresse e-mail par MP s'il vous plaît. Mais le manuel Adler 105 que Bert a lié devrait également vous aider.

Bonjour. Je recherche un manuel pour ma machine à coudre adler 5-6. J'aurai voulu savoir si vous avez toujours ce manuel. Si oui, n'hésitez pas à me contacter en mp afin que je puisse vous envoyer mon adresse mail. 

Je vous remercie par avance. Cordialement. Natacha

Edited by Tacha
Trompé de mots

On 7/15/2020 at 6:45 AM, Constabulary said:

I have a German language Adler5 manual if that helps. Please send me your Email address by PM please. But the Adler 105 manual Bert has linked should help you as well.

Sorry can I ask you to send me copy of Adler 5 manual as well? Thanks a lot in advance!