brainmonster

Camera strap and case - what leather thickness?

For camera case - I want to use natural veg-tan undyed leather. What thickness should I use? I was thinking about the default 4.5-5 oz leather but I'm not sure if that would be too thick. District leather (I'll order from them) can split to 2 oz thickness. Would that be better? It would be for a small rangefinder, probably just a simple 2 piece case.

For leather camera strap, I would attach d-rings to the end and try to add buckles to make the length adjustable. But I don't know what thickness/width to use. I thought about using this:

https://tandyleather.com/collections/leather/products/4523-190-heavyweight-natural-cowhide-leather-strips

But perhaps it's too heavy weight/inflexible? I haven't handled this kind of stuff, but I want the strap to have a kind of premium feel.

Someone mentioned that the strips above may be too inflexible, but perhaps working/oiling the leather would loosen them up a bit. I have saphir conditioner cream and lexol already.

He suggested this as being lighter/more flexible:

https://tandyleather.com/collections/leather/products/leather-strings-12-x-48?variant=31977572040835

Anyway, any pointers/experience here?

Hi, i think minimum 2.5 mm thickness would be good for the strap. For the body just i can say that, you need to consider the leather dust, if you will not apply anything to the back side of the leather, it could harm your camera.

5 hours ago, nottotell said:

Hi, i think minimum 2.5 mm thickness would be good for the strap. For the body just i can say that, you need to consider the leather dust, if you will not apply anything to the back side of the leather, it could harm your camera.

Thanks. What about the case? Google says 3.5-4mm leather would be good, but I feel 2.5 would be easier to work with.

I'm not worried about leather dust, I will just clean the leather with a cloth. But I have a several people telling me that veg-tan leather may be too stiff to use for a strap, and can bite into your neck. Any ideas?

It's just a rangefinder, 1kg tops including lens, it won't bite into anything. 

If you want a premium feel get some sedgwick bridle for the straps.  Tandy used to have some belt blanks, get one of those and slice it in half with a strap cutter.