Buzzard Bait

Need Advice for New Project

I have been asked to make some "welding  or welders sleeves" and need info on where to purchase thread (fire resistant I think), needles (recommended size, etc.). I have a Cobra Class 4 machine.

I have a couple of sample sleeves (one made of split cowhide and the other of what appears to be a soft, flexible latigo), both with some sort of soft filler or pad inside and a decorative cowhide panel on the outside.

I think the filler is a fire resistant material, but don't know for certain. Probably need a source for the filler also.

Any advise or sources for info on making sleeves these will be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Buzzard Bait

Thanks MileRock.

I've got Superior on my favorites list.

Buzzard Bait

Kevlar generally only comes in yellow and maybe a black.  Nomex thread comes in all sorts of colors.  Kevlar is stronger than nomex, but nomex is what most fire resistant clothing is made of.

https://www.thethreadexchange.com/miva/merchant.mvc?Store_Code=TTE&Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=nomex-information

edit:   I’d beware of thread from unknown sources - I’ve seen many Kevlar threads that aren’t suitable for sewing machine use, and even bought some “Kevlar” that turned out to be Dyneema.   

Edited by DonInReno