Sign in to follow this  
ClayB

3-D picture

A couple years ago in Sheridan, I saw one of the coolest leather pictures I have ever seen. It was a 3-D diarama of a desert scene with Anasazi cliff dwelling ruins. This picture is made with 9 different layers of leather set in a shadow box frame that is 3 inches deep. It was a picture Bob Beard had done in 1989 at an IFoLG show in Bismarck, ND. This is also the show where Bob introduced his new line of Pro Series tools. I had been begging Bob to teach this class again ever since I saw the picture. He said he would love to come back to ND to do another class, but he really tried to talk me out of the ruins picture. First off, someone got away with the pattern the first time he did it so he would have to try and re-draw it. The first time he did the class, it was 5 days, they didn't color the picture, and most of them didn't finish it. I won out in the end and Bob agreed to try the class. He came up here the last weekend in July and we spent 3 days with him learning this really neat technique. We left off the scrolls that he had put in the corners of his picture for decoration, and we didn't color it, but we all finished our pictures up in the 3 days with time to spare. I have done a couple more of these pictures since the class. The second one I colored and entered in the competition at this years IFoLG show where it took a blue ribbon in the advanced class. I just finished up my 3rd one last night. This one has the scrolls in the corners. I really enjoy this project and am so happy that I got Bob to teach it. He is thinking about making a video lesson of this project. I have new ideas rattling around in my head about how to do a ND badlands scene using this technique. Hopefully I can turn the ideas into a leather project.

Bob_Beard_Ruins_class_029.jpg

Bob_Beard_Ruins_class_058__Small_.jpg

ruins_3_001__Medium_.jpg

Bob_Beard_Ruins_class_006__Small_.jpg

Bob_Beard_Ruins_class_041__Small_.jpg

Bob_Beard_Ruins_class_045__Small_.jpg

post-12-1161269574_thumb.jpg

post-12-1161303378_thumb.jpg

post-12-1161303427_thumb.jpg

post-12-1161303569_thumb.jpg

post-12-1161303625_thumb.jpg

post-12-1161303690_thumb.jpg

Edited by ClayB

I've seen Bob's "Ruins" picture, and it is striking with detail and depth. I can imagine a person would learn a lot from Bob. He is a great teacher, and never hesitates to show somebody how to do something on the spot, if asked a question. Thanks for sharing the pictures, Clay!

Johanna

This is one of Bob Beard's pictures.

beard.jpg

Up close and personal, Bob's work tends to leave a lasting impression. So do his tools! :P Okay, lame jokes aside.

I found a website where some of his tools are featured, too.

Pro Series Tools

Johanna

post-5-1162056554_thumb.jpg

On that website, you can get an idea of some of the tools that Bob makes, but it is pretty outdated as to what he makes, and especially as to prices. The latest printed catalog is also out of date, and Bob has a freind that is in the process of adding around 100 more tools to it. When that is done, he has another friend that will try and get the updated catalog on a new website http://www.robertbeardtools.com/

You can look at the site, but there isn't much there yet as it is early stages of construction. Photos will have to be taken of a lot of tool impressions before they can be put in the catalog, or on the website.