EricaB

Fire Shields

My husband is a Firefighter, who just got promoted to engineer. I want to do something special for him by making him a custom leather helmet shield. I am a crafty person, but have never worked with leather. I expect that there will be a lot of trial an error. Wondering if any of you might have any tips to pass along to a newbie in this craft?

Yikes! Just the front, or the entire helmet cover? You'll have to look to see what mount points you've got, a top eagle clip, perhaps?

Most have a strong rear plate, with appliqué sewn onto it, flesh side to flesh, so the base plate faces the helmet.. That can be quite a task, if the rear's very thick, use a diamond awl and saddle-stitching.

Here is a good over view of making the helmet There are several articles on making the shields, but this video just fascinates me. 

Edited by stelmackr
added information

Thank you so much! I am just looking into making the front shield... Im not sure I’m talented enough to make an entire helmet cover Lol. I really appreciate the tips and links that you attached!