Sign in to follow this  
JRP430

Leather in square feet required.

Just a question for my brothers and sisters in leather. I don't want to waste another's money on leather so my question is,; how many square feet approx is required for a western holster, both lined and unlined? Belts not included. A rough estimate is fine, say 9-10oz.

Thank you

@JRP430 buyng by the square foot is generally the most expensive way to buy leather.  I you are looking to do belts and holsters I would either buy a side of leather(Knowing the belly won't really be good for your purposes except possibly pattern making) or from Springfield Leather buy a single shoulder for the holsters and a 1/2 belt bend to strip the belts off of.  The second option would give you the most usable leather for the money.  Your question as to how many square feet is difficult to answer, it depends.  A drop loop holster which has the holster and back piece all in one takes much more than just a fold over western style which typically takes more than an avenger or pancake style.  Typical belt will only be say 2 to 3 square feet but it needs to be 50+ inches long by 4-6" wide.