Fognozzle

Please recommend a thread & needle - K6, mostly canvas

Hi all, I'm a complete beginner with the keys to a Singer K6. The machine is used and has no thread and no needles other than the one in it.

So I need to do lots of practice, with a view towards heavy canvas and (in the future) some leather work. Right now I have a couple of repairs I'd like to make on some canvas bags, probably half-inch (12mm) thick seams at the thickest.

I want to buy a range of thread colours (black, white, grey, greens, browns, khakis) but I want things to be consistent while I'm learning, so I'm looking for a recommendation for a good starting setup - ideally, a strong, reliable quality thread that's easy to use, has needles available, and is readily available in those colours - ideally here in Australia. And hopefully all without costing a fortune!

What do you recommend?

Looks like that machine will take a #22 to a #26 needle in a 214 system

https://www.sewingmachinesaustralia.com.au/shop/buy-accessories/needles-by-model/singer2012-05-16-04-19-16_/singer-k62012-05-16-04-19-16_

that means 96 to 277 sized thread. Bonded poly for anything in sunlight, bonded nylon for nearly everything else. Thread strength should not be an issue. buy the correct needles though. ball tip for fabric and cutting point for leather. needles are consumables and should be replaced often. 

Edited by Kcstott

The Singer 132k6 can handle up to #346 (Tex 350) bonded thread using a #26 needle. You should run #277 in the bobbin though. If you are actually going to sew 1/2 inch, #346 thread will give incredible strength and a super bold appearance. I would space the stitches out to 4 to the inch. Otherwise, use #277 on top and bottom.

The 132k6 is actually a buffing wheel sewing machine. Those wheels are a half inch thick.

When it comes to sewing leather you may be disappointed in the results. The spring loaded presser foot may just slide along the surface of slick top grain leather which leads to uneven stitches and even filigreeing. I know from previous experience. Your results may differ.