Danne

Skiving machine question

So, I have decided it's time to buy a skiving machine. Since I have limited space I can't buy a larger machine with exhaust. I included a drawing of my plan for my new work area. I will mount the skiving machine directly onto my table to the left of the cabinet (Dimensions not exact here it will be a little bit more table space to the left of the cabinet) And I will do a diy-solution for the exhaust. Probably 3d-print a connector for a vacuum cleaner.

I have a couple of questions.

1. I plan to buy a Fortuna SM50 or a FAV2 (Depends of what I find) I know I can add a second motor to the FAV2 machine, but can I do the same to SM50? (I can't find a manual for that machine, or photos so I can see if it's possible) A second motor will of course be so I can run the bell knife at full speed all the time. 

2. A general question. If you just like me work with both softer leather (like chevre sully) and stiffer veg tan, and you want to increase the gap slightly between the presser feet and the bell knife when skiving/splitting veg tan. How do you do this the best way practically. Because when you sharpen the knife at one position, let's say you have a small gap for softer leather, and increase the gap for stiffer leather, you want to move the bell knife back to it's "original position" before you sharpen the next time again, or you will have to reshape a new bevel on the knife everytime. My thoughts. two different thickness of paper? (Now I don't know the perfect distance for different types of leather, but let's say 0.2mm is suitable for softer chrome tan, and 0.5mm for veg tan. Then I have two pieces of paper so I can adjust for veg tan, and adjust it back to thin leather and not having to do a lot of reshaping of the knife when sharpening the next time. 

3. Which feed roll would be most suitable for me when using softer chrome/combination tanned and stiffer veg tan (Will rarely skive/split thicker leather than 1.5mm) and split down to around 0.5mm for lined card pockets keeper lining on watch straps and such (Yes I know it requires some practice for a good result) Emery fina grain? Emery medium grain? or Vulkollan? Or do I need different feed wheels for different leather?

I'm sorry if I explained this bad, if you don't understand how I mean just ask, and I try to explain better.

If you have any other advice in the choice of machines or accessories like sharpening stones, feed wheels and such please share.

shortdesk.jpg

Edited by Danne

Hi Danne, I don't think I have enough experience to answer most of your questions but can suggest looking at a Consew skiver.  My wife and I purchased a DCS-S4 at the recommendation of Wills Shanor after we took his men's dress shoes course several years ago.  We've both been in school and haven't had a chance to even take it out of the boxes.  We're thinking about selling it so we can get through school and then start back into shoemaking after we graduate.  If you're interested, it includes the stand, motor, etc.  

Best,

Russ

On 11/22/2020 at 5:43 AM, Danne said:

So, I have decided it's time to buy a skiving machine. Since I have limited space I can't buy a larger machine with exhaust. I included a drawing of my plan for my new work area. I will mount the skiving machine directly onto my table to the left of the cabinet (Dimensions not exact here it will be a little bit more table space to the left of the cabinet) And I will do a diy-solution for the exhaust. Probably 3d-print a connector for a vacuum cleaner.

I have a couple of questions.

1. I plan to buy a Fortuna SM50 or a FAV2 (Depends of what I find) I know I can add a second motor to the FAV2 machine, but can I do the same to SM50? (I can't find a manual for that machine, or photos so I can see if it's possible) A second motor will of course be so I can run the bell knife at full speed all the time. 

2. A general question. If you just like me work with both softer leather (like chevre sully) and stiffer veg tan, and you want to increase the gap slightly between the presser feet and the bell knife when skiving/splitting veg tan. How do you do this the best way practically. Because when you sharpen the knife at one position, let's say you have a small gap for softer leather, and increase the gap for stiffer leather, you want to move the bell knife back to it's "original position" before you sharpen the next time again, or you will have to reshape a new bevel on the knife everytime. My thoughts. two different thickness of paper? (Now I don't know the perfect distance for different types of leather, but let's say 0.2mm is suitable for softer chrome tan, and 0.5mm for veg tan. Then I have two pieces of paper so I can adjust for veg tan, and adjust it back to thin leather and not having to do a lot of reshaping of the knife when sharpening the next time. 

3. Which feed roll would be most suitable for me when using softer chrome/combination tanned and stiffer veg tan (Will rarely skive/split thicker leather than 1.5mm) and split down to around 0.5mm for lined card pockets keeper lining on watch straps and such (Yes I know it requires some practice for a good result) Emery fina grain? Emery medium grain? or Vulkollan? Or do I need different feed wheels for different leather?

I'm sorry if I explained this bad, if you don't understand how I mean just ask, and I try to explain better.

If you have any other advice in the choice of machines or accessories like sharpening stones, feed wheels and such please share.

shortdesk.jpg

This is a great question. My leather needs are the same as yours. Did you ever get any answers??