rdb

Today's Belt & Strap Production

Not sure exactly what you mean Art.

I haven't sold any belts for a very long time, so I'm not sure what widths, and what lengths will move.

Normally I used to make a bunch to size, 32s, 34s, etc. I hate cut belts, but I just don't know what's out there, so I'm just going to cut this first bunch out on the streets.

I've got about 30 other design belts, and I've got a slew of bridle leather belts I made up, brown, and black. I just edged them, bordered them, made them look rich.

The first show will only have about a hundred belts, just to see, don't you know.

rdb,

Belts look good. I like the finish you've used. Thst's not my favorite part of leather work. Wish you success at the fair. You mentioned that you were having to more makers stamps made. We make Delrin™ and mag. stamps. Who re you having make yours and what material?

Glad you're back in the madness of leathercraft! :cheers:

Indy

RDB, they turned out great.

Let me re-ask Art's question. For street fairs how do you determine sizes when you make up this many at a time?

Do you just do whatever sizes and hope to have enough people in those sizes buy them.

You don't mean you're going to 'cut them to length on street

as in lop off the long end do you? GH

This will be an "old school" street fair, yup, lop off the not needed part. I always hated that, but there's no way I can ramp up like I used to, in such a short time.

Back in the crustacean period, I would make up about 20 in each size, from 26 for women up to 48 for men. They would be about half of the same design, the rest would be separate designs. This worked well back then. I would have some three/four hundred belts, 20 or so of each size. On a good day, I could sell a hundred. I was getting $10/12 when others were getting $5-8.

A good weeks pay, when most were making 200 or 300 working for someone else.

Time enough to be fussy,later. I'm going to have to pay for that Artisan somehow..

Ummm... What's wrong with sizing/cutting belts on the street? Seems pretty simple... Just punch a few holes, trim the excess strap, bevel and then edge dye. I've seen leatherworkers do this at craft fairs, and customers don't seem to mind...

That's kind of where I was headed, most folks think they are getting something made just for them when they can watch you knock a buckle slot and rivits or snaps, of course they get to see your secret to wetting and bending the leather for the buckle. Some folks will pay for it and come back by later to pick it up.

I'd rather lop off the tooling you've done on the end that wont be seen when worn, But that's just me. I know you're probably tiered of this job by now. Go getum, GH