Sign in to follow this  
Guest Milk

Dying a Weightlifting belt

Guest Milk

Hi,

I wanted to dye my weightlifting belt a more darker tone, and I have 3 tins of kiwi black polish will that work?

If not I'm open to suggestions

Thanks

No. Shoe polish will wear off and will soil your clothes. If you want to darken/blacken a leather strap that already has a top finish applied to it, use Leather Refinish. This paint is sold on eBay and elsewhere in 4 ounce jars and is rubbed on in a circular motion with a sponge. You can apply several coats to get full coverage. It comes in various colors and shades thereof. I use Leather Refinish to change colors, or touch up colors on upholstery projects and leather jackets. It is water fast once it dries and is hard to rub off. I recommend getting a complete starter kit to prepare and condition the strap before you dye it.

Dyeing a weightlifting belt can be a fun project. Kiwi black polish might work to darken it, but I'd recommend doing a small test patch first to see how it turns out. Also, leather dyes specifically made for this purpose could give you more control over the color. I suggest using belts from www.tuffwraps.com, as they have a good material for that. Good luck!

Edited by JohnJohnson